White, puffy eye on my duck.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow.

Here is the photo of her eye... :-(

IMG_2830.JPG

As you can see, her eye is completely covered by yellowish stuff. I tried cleaning it last night, but I don't want to rub her eye. It is not coming off just with gentle touch of a gauze pad soaked in saline solution. Is what I see a nictitating membrane that's infected? Once the antibiotic ointment arrives, do I apply it on top of it?

Last edited:
I suggest cleaning the eye with warm water. I've had some ducks like this before. I'd take a warm wash cloth and gently clean it. After I'd get all the goo away I would spray VetRx mixed appropriately with water into their eyes and put 1 drop of pure VetRx down their throat. I would do this daily and within 3-4 days the infection was gone. But this is from my point of view and my own experience. Do what makes you feel comfortable! If need be, I'm always on and willing to help! You can shoot me a PM.

Also the eye or around it looks like it make have gotten scratched, and then infected. Even so VetRx can still help in cases like this. I have tons of Muscovy ducks with long claws! VetRx has always been my go to help!

I'm applying antibiotic twice daily. She doesn't mind saline solution nor antibiotic but did not like when sprayed Vetricyn. This is what her eye looked like today.

IMG_2860.JPG

I still can't see her eye...

Warm compresses to the eye may help, and try to remove or squeeze out any pus. Do you have a vessel for your ducks to rinse their faces? I do not know much about ducks, but remember someone mentioning that ducks need to have water to dunk into to keep their nostrils clean.

Back
Top Bottom