Whiting True Blue Chat Thread!

Pics
I've been reading conflicting info ... Glad I found this thread.
Am I to understand the WTB are flighty, skittish & a bully?
How do they do in confinement?

Egg color not always that "blue" everyone :love

View attachment 1363480 View attachment 1363481 View attachment 1363482 View attachment 1363483 View attachment 1363484 View attachment 1363485 I have 5 Whiting True Blue and they are precious! I have a lady in Hillsborough NC that breeds the Most and they are adorable!
I am also very interested in finding out more, I’ve searched everyone and there’s not a ton of information out there on WTB.
If anyone knows if I have hens or roosters, I’d love to know!!

Hello everyone! In this thread you can talk about and show off your Whiting True Blues! They are a fairly new breed that come in an insane variety of colors, but they all lay gorgeous blue eggs! For those who want to learn a b the breed here's a link:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/whiting_true_blue.html

Please talk about your experiences with this beautiful breed, pros and cons will be greatly appreciated :D

My Whiting True Blue Silver:
View attachment 1293487

I have been told that the True Blue Whiting are the same bird as the Arkansas Blue Productions. Is this correct? Is McMurray the only place to buy these pullets? Do they lay large or extra large eggs? They seem like efficient hens.
Dave

@DrumstickRanchTex .... McMurray is the "only" hatchery at this time that I know that sells the WTB & WTG. Some maybe breeding them on their own, uncertain. They are advertised to start off laying medium sized eggs increasing to large. They're advertised to be "efficient" feed to production. No clue if they're the same as the Arkansas Blue.

Edited: Looked up the Arkansas Blue, sounds to be the same (Leghorn/Araucana)

Last edited:
@DrumstickRanchTex .... McMurray is the "only" hatchery at this time that I know that sells the WTB & WTG. Some maybe breeding them on their own, uncertain. They are advertised to start off laying medium sized eggs increasing to large. They're advertised to be "efficient" feed to production. No clue if they're the same as the Arkansas Blue.

Edited: Looked up the Arkansas Blue, sounds to be the same (Leghorn/Araucana)
Thanks!

I've been reading conflicting info ... Glad I found this thread.
Am I to understand the WTB are flighty, skittish & a bully?
How do they do in confinement?

Egg color not always that "blue" everyone :love

I think the egg color isn't as "blue" as I've seen with some Auracanas, but it is at least consistent.
Our WTB are pretty skittish/flighty, but good foragers. Have had some problems with prolapse, and shell thickness, though I haven't heard that from anyone else. Our other girls are fine though, so I'm chalking it up to a breed issue. It was an okay experiment, but I don't plan to get any again.

@urbanhenhouse ... I've been reading about the skittish/flighty :( good foragers, nothing about the "prolapse & shell thickness". What are you feeding? Layer? Oyster Shells?

A friend ordered 5 WTB & 4WTG, they're 4wks today. I've had one of each for a week & got another pair yesterday. They're in the brooder (3 x 8 x 2) in the patio w/MHP (nights are starting to chill) & teaching them the Horizontal Nipples this week.

The original two will come to my hand to see what I have, able to touch them but they still will "fly" off when spooked. Don't think at this point they're anymore skittish than other breeds of chicks I've had (Orpingtons, Wyandottes, RIR, EE, Australorps) but time will tell. Waiting for the MW to arrive (Amazon) for training.

My yard is fenced but the neighbor has dogs, so mine will be confined to a Chicken House (8 x 12 x 7), hoping it works out. Learning Leghorn/Araucana mixes are also being sold by Hoover under the Prairie Blue, then there's the Arkansas Blue developed by the University of Kansas. You all hear of any other Leghorn/Araucana breeding?

Meyers Hatcher has their LakeShore Eggers, Legbar being the base which maybe interesting just can't get past that tuff on their head :rolleyes: The WTB got me interested as on hatch can have a "variety of colors" and lay blue eggs.

QUESTION: WTB = pea comb? WTB = straight comb?
My Pea Combs are chipmunk looking with partridge like feathering, are they WTB or WTG? My Straight Combs are varied in feathering, WTB or WTG?

My girls ... 4wks today
Pea Comb/WTB - Partridge colored ones, sitting & standing
Single Comb/WTG - Splash looking one in the back, Red on the floor

The "splash" coloring is very stand offish, usually off by herself ... The "red" & the lighter "partridge" allow me to pet them but not pick them up. The darker "partridge" is coming around to join the other two. Had the lighter partridge & "red" one week prior to the two. They do love scratching ...
DSC04791.JPG
DSC04794.JPG
DSC04794.JPG

Back
Top Bottom