Who got the turkey carcass to make stock??

If you can believe it, for Thanksgiving, the cook did not cook the giblets as they "didn't want them" (took 'em out of the Butterball turkey and put them in their fridge). I asked for them to feed my cats (who love raw organ meats, sorry to be gross). Turns out another friend wanted the liver so they went there instead. I'm sorry, but the giblets make the BEST gravy and they are so useful for stock, etc. I was so surprised they were looked upon as 'garbage'.

my daughter made the turkey.. so i am making my own in the next week and will have my own leftovers and bones.. and i love the giblets in gravy and stuffing..thanksgiving dinner twice is nice lol

In the neighborhood to the south of us I noticed that someone had thrown TWO turkey carcasses along the road for the feral chickens to pick clean... and they were almost picked entirely clean.

We've decided stock is too much work here. Heck, I'm lucky if I can get my wife to even cook a turkey.

Anybody ever give the carcass to their chickens? I bet they would be just like Christmas for them!

I cooked the turkey, so I cooked the carcass all night Thursday night and all day Friday with celery and onions. I have the best stock in my freezer!

Oh, Mom stopped over today and dropped off the carcass from her house on Thursday. This makes #3 for me this week.
smile.png

I pressure cooked my turkey carcass till I had some nice stock. Separated the stock pressure canned it then pressure cooked the carcass a second time till the bones were nice and soft. Ground up the bones and the gristle and stuff and fed that to the chickens. They went crazy for it. Figured the ground bone would give them calcium and the meat and gristle would give then extra protien since they are doing the 9 month old moult thing.

Back
Top Bottom