Who got the turkey carcass to make stock??

Quote:
th.gif

It was a hard decision to make: follow tradition and stew the turkey leavings for stock and soup or give it to my hens for THEIR Thanksgiving dinner. Not really a contest of course...our hens won! All fifteen surrounded the carcass as soon as I carried it out to their chicken yard and by roost time, not a peckable morsel could be found, just the bones. Luckily I have a small "Thanksgiving special" turkey from our local grocery waiting in the refrig to roast tomorrow to make turkey noodle soup, stock, giblets for future gravies...and I'll try not to think of our flock of hens when I stew the carcass...or will I decide to take it out to the chicken yard for a treat...
smile.png
Pampered hens! ~G

Around here we all benefit. After the stock has simmered for a couple of days, then as Miss Prissy has mentioned the bones are soft enough to grind along with all the veggies. After straining, the 'gunk' goes to the chickens. No waste what so ever.

PC, you have been lucky. Three already! I have a turkey brining right now and will roast it tomorrow. Then it will be more stock canning next week if I have enough veggies for it.

Henry'schickens :

Around here we all benefit. After the stock has simmered for a couple of days, then as Miss Prissy has mentioned the bones are soft enough to grind along with all the veggies. After straining, the 'gunk' goes to the chickens. No waste what so ever.

PC, you have been lucky. Three already! I have a turkey brining right now and will roast it tomorrow. Then it will be more stock canning next week if I have enough veggies for it.

The bones are soft enough to crumble in your hands. All of my extra turkey and chicken gets turn to dog food. Almost nothing is wasted.

One of these days I need to learn to can. I have the pressure cooker but can only do 4 regular jars at a time. I freeze all my soup. Not to go off topic but why do you can? I'm asking to learn, not because I think freezing is better.
smile.png

Quote:
The bones are soft enough to crumble in your hands. All of my extra turkey and chicken gets turn to dog food. Almost nothing is wasted.

One of these days I need to learn to can. I have the pressure cooker but can only do 4 regular jars at a time. I freeze all my soup. Not to go off topic but why do you can? I'm asking to learn, not because I think freezing is better.
smile.png

I'm a self employed lady (two businesses), work outside the home as well, wife and mother to three busy kids (thier choice). The stock is soooo handy when making soups, gravey and meals. I can over 300 jars of misc. things. My specialty is pickles! We need room in the freezer because my DH and kids hunt and fish. I have two freezers full of meat and fish. That is another reason why I can.
If you can, get a 'canner' pressure cooker. Those jars are ready 'now'. If they are in the freezer,,,well ,,,,,gotta let it thaw or use the microwave. Things around here doesn't always go as planned.
wink.png
So pop a jar and make a meal.

Henry'schickens :

I'm a self employed lady (two businesses), work outside the home as well, wife and mother to three busy kids (thier choice). The stock is soooo handy when making soups, gravey and meals. I can over 300 jars of misc. things. My specialty is pickles! We need room in the freezer because my DH and kids hunt and fish. I have two freezers full of meat and fish. That is another reason why I can.
If you can, get a 'canner' pressure cooker. Those jars are ready 'now'. If they are in the freezer,,,well ,,,,,gotta let it thaw or use the microwave. Things around here doesn't always go as planned.
wink.png
So pop a jar and make a meal.

Great info, thanks. I've got my regular freezer plus my chest freezer which is empty (recently divorced single guy). I never considered the space much but the idea of popping a top is a lot better than microwaving. Hmmmm..

If you ever decide to market and sell your pickles I'll take a few jars. Nothing like homemade pickles. Yum. I used to see them when I lived in Georgia but here in CT they are uncommon.

Adding pressure canner to Christmas wish list.
smile.png

Quote:
This is going to sound ridiculous but I cannot cook or do anything with vinegar. The smell makes me sick, especially when it's warm. I can eat pickles and salad dressings but that's it. My friend was eating vinegar on his french fries on sunday and it was bothering me. My mother will drink the pickle juice from a jar. I can eat an entire jar of pickles in one sitting but couldn't swallow a teaspoon of the straight brine.

You know the Easter egg coloring kits that use vinegar? Can't do those either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom