Who is setting eggs today - 4/14?

I have one chick hatched, two more zipping, and one that has pipped. The blue egg has been zipping since 6am and it hasn't made any progress since then. Its membrane is starting to look a little dry around the opening. The humidity is at 68% so humidity shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking because its been open so long that the membrane is drying out. How long should I wait before assisting this chick? I'm hoping it makes it out all on its own. I have gotten a chick out of its shell before though. It pipped and about 18 hours later it was still in the same position and I could see it really struggling to get out but making no progress. This chick has been struggling to make progress as well but it appears that it can't turn within its shell. I'm going to keep watching for now and hope it gets out okay on its own.
I helped one of mine out. was zipped for a long time. I could see the membreane drying so i took it out and wrapped it in a warm wet paper towel. used cosmetic scissors to chip away a little more shell. Wound up cutting some membrane away let it push out the rest of the way itself. Little thing is pooped. Resting and drying now. not sure what the end result will be. Next time i will have to up the humidity . Good hatch for a first try. 18 chicks!If any others hatch it will be a bonus!

Cute chicks, Goblnfvr! The extra toe is interesting, isn't it? Good that it's not interfering.

gwendalynn28, sometimes it takes them forever to come out after pipping. I thought mine was dead that pipped yesterday, but then this morning it just popped out. I'd give yours at least 12 hours before doing anything - maybe even a little longer. Just keep the lid closed.

Things are not going so well here. One hatched out and bled everywhere and died. I have one that started zipping and now nothing. The one that pipped later in the morning is also not making any progress. I don't know what's went wrong. The humidity is at 68-70%. I should've known something would go wrong this hatch because my last one went so well. I also have a hen outside with a swollen and a dirty vent. What is going on?

Oh, so sorry to hear that! I hope things start looking up soon!
hugs.gif
It sounds like you've done everything you can for them to hatch successfully.

I got one more chick this morning for a total of two chicks. I still have two more eggs in the incubator so I'm going to give them a couple of more days before I give up on them.

Glad you got another chick! For some reason our chicks seem to be hatching behind everyone else.

Ok - I have a total of 4 chicks. There is another one of my very small maran/orpington mix eggs that is pipped, but it's been pipped since earlier yesterday.

I'm pretty sure the turner was not plugged in considering that only 4/19 eggs hatched. At the same time I'm thrilled that 4 were still able to hatch!

Are everyone else's hatches all done now? How many chicks did you get?

It's right now that the 4-day difference between me and the rest of you is abundantly apparent. Congratulations on all your chicks!

Anyway, Day 19 for my eggs. I've just candled them one last time and removed a further 20 or so what had definately been developing but haven't been for a week at least. That means that 13 eggs out of 48 have gone into lockdown, which to be honest was more than I expected for a new incubator and doubtful eggs. One of those was borderline (may have stopped developing a few days ago, I'm not inexperienced to tell), 2 looked good but I couldn't see movement (could be sleeping?), the rest had definite movement in them. One was even cheeping at me (are they meant to cheep yet?) so I was pretty excited about that!

Is it strange for me to be thinking about the next lot I'll be putting in the incubator (maybe next weekend or next week sometime) already? My sister's been pestering me to put some of her duck eggs in the next batch. None of my hens were old enough to lay, but at a poultry sale yesterday a bought a couple of Ancona girls who have already layed (well, one of them has at least - in my lap [quite literally in my lap - I was holding her at the time. First time that's ever happened!]). The guy I bought them from had a number of Ancona roosters for sale, so I'm collecting the eggs from my two new girls for the next week or so on the off chance that they're fertilised.

I have no idea how I'm going to wait out the next two days, though. I'm so excited! I don't want to get my hopes up, though - I've never had very good hatches (last time I had 3 out of 7 eggs pip and then die in the shell - bad incubator and the humidity was wibbly the entire time, though), but if most of the ones in lockdown hatch I will be so chuffed about that!

Sorry for babbling... just really excited!
from Rachel.

HI Rachel! My marans eggs are four days behind my first batch as well! Cool - we can still keep talking hatching babies (I hope!) all over again!
cool.png
Now that I see how poorly my big batch did I don't have very high hopes for my other eggs, but we'll see. They should hatch on Tuesday!

The chicken laid an egg on your lap? Interesting and gross all at the same time! LOL

My hatch was all done as of 10:30 pm Saturday evening - they all hatched on time.
Started out with 12 on day one - culled one on day 10 and had all the remaining 11 hatch.
They are a lot of fun.
They spent the whole afternoon outside in the garden yesterday afternoon eating/drinking and napping.

Hello all,
I actually started eggs at the same time as you all but did not even know this forum existed! Now my eggs are a little late hatching. I had one hatch yesterday between 5 PM and 9 PM. I had another one pip last night around 9 PM and nothing has come of it. I can see it is a light colored chick but there is no more activity from the chick. My question is the chick that did hatch(this is my first time doing any of this) is still all wet and sickly looking. Should I do anything for it? I thought it would be dry and fluffy by now. It also seems to have deformed feet or do they have them turned in when they are first born? I will say that my thermometer was sitting on top of the eggs to begin with but then my chick knocked them all over the place and the therm fell to the bottom of the incubator. So the temp was 99.5 and last night the therm read 92. So I was worried the chick was cold so I upped the temp a bit. It was 94 when I went to bed but 96 this morning when I woke. Anyway should I be worried that in almost 12 hours my chick has not fluffed up? Please help! Thanks! Oh and I don't know what my humidity is because I did not know to measure it--I am learning a lot about the process a little late!

Back
Top Bottom