Who knows about OLD cars?

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Ok, so I'm in LOVE with old cars. Unfortunately, I'm a teenage girl who know literally NOTHING about car repair. Well i Found this adorable 1963 Ford F 100 Pick up Truck that is "close" to my budget for a car.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1063176786.html

Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price? What would you estimate the price of the needed repairs would be? I think i can handle the windows on my own. Does anyone have experience with these trucks? are they any good?

they are good trucks, but the price is to high for that one, it is worth about $850 is all i would give. and it would take about $100.00 it fix what is listed worng with it, if that is all that is?

I had a 1973 F100 named Frank that I loved.

Something important to bear in mind though; they drive very differently to 'modern' vehicles. They do not have shoulder restraint seatbelts unless converted. I got in a bad wreck in mine, and totalled it, which caused a pretty nasty injury around my waist from the seatbelt. They are like the ones on planes, and all you have is the strap around your stomach to prevent you from flying through the windshield. That's a lot of force on your stomach, neck, back, and internal organs if you come to a sudden stop!

Also, the brakes tend to be extremely heavy and hard to depress. They do not have the modern power brakes or power steering, and are heavier vehicles.

I agree.
If you had the time and money for a full body off restoration it would be a good choice at a lower price. But right now it'll probably break down a mile from where you picked it up.

I love old cars too.

My 1967 convertible Chevelle drained my bank account for three years and never ran right. I sold it for a fraction of what I paid for it.

Oh yeah, and it was almost impossible for me to drive. No power steering, no power brakes, stick shift... I couldn't turn a corner without expending 600 calories and building muscle mass.

Last edited:
It's cute. but I agree way too much for the asking price and what it more than likely needs for work.

I had a 69 Camaro that was my baby. I did a frame off restoration myself and it took me just over a year to get it to where it was a daily driver.
I still look for 60s Camaros when I have a chance. Someday I will own another.

The body looks like it's in good condition, but I can't see underneath....however, being a Texas vehicle, I doubt there is too much rusting underneath like there is here in MO. Body and frame is your biggest concern with these vehicles. If you got a solid body the rest is pretty easy to deal with.

The window work is fairly easy, you may have to replace some parts in there...which, I imagine, is why the seller hasn't fixed it. As far as carb work goes, it can get fairly pricey if you pay someone to do it. I did all of the engine work on my car, but the carb work I left to a professional as there is just too much to the carb for me to do it myself an do it right.
The rest, is easily fixed or replaced as needed and parts are fairly cheap until you get into the big things, like the radiator, etc.....I had to have a new one specially made for my car as I could not find a replacement anywhere.

The price is a bit steep(but I paid $2,000 for my '58 Fairlane), but that's about what these older cars go for anymore, IF you are really interested, make him an offer on it and see how low he will go. I'm betting not much lower than that seeing as the ad claims it runs and drives as is.

Good luck if you decide to get it, I bet you can make it into one good looking truck with not a whole lot of money put into it, if you like to tinker on old cars like I do!!

I think you're on the right track with that truck. Mechanically simple, and made in large numbers so that parts should be fairly easy to come by.

Also the old car hobby does not value trucks as it does cars, so you'll have a keeper but don't expect to make money off it.

You'll have to make friends with someone (old retired mechanic) to get it going and keep it that way.

Hopefully you are in a high school with an auto shop, so you can take it in and work on it for free (besides parts).

keep in mind the "or best offer" part of the ad. How to negotiate: before you show interest, send in two friends (preferably older males i.e. uncle bob) to make lowball offers ($500) and if the seller takes it, great, if not it "softens them up" for your $800 offer.

Being a young female could work to your advantage (It's my first car and all I have is $800) or not.

You also will spend money on tools, and a few books to get going.

Start at the library with "Mechanics for Dummies" or something like that. (No offense, but that's where I start on any new endeavour)

keep in mind that being a young female that you'll be around older males so you might want a friend or two with you in your new hobby.

good luck

Thanks everyone!
My parents say that if i can get either my grandpa or my best friends dad (an 18-wheeler mechanic)to check it out and approve it then i can place a bid on it. Hopefully it won't drain my bank account. I really just want it to drive between school and home (about 6 miles a day). I will have to put in new seat belts though.Does anyone know how much a shoulder belt goes for? How about those Harness belts like Jeeps have?

It's necesary to have holes drilled in the frame to fit the shoulder restraint. Not entirely sure, but I believe some kind of reinforcement is needed too. Five-point harnesses should never be secured to just the seat, this is extremely dangerous when considering the folding mechanism of most seats. They also need to be secured to the frame/sub frame of the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom