Who sells eggs with poo on them?

The way I figure it, all those supermarket eggs are all washed and washed well, and they end up being much older when being purchased than farm fresh eggs. I sell my eating eggs no older than 2 days old and Im sure they are used within the week. I will always wash my eating eggs for people.

Well I wash my eggs that I sell to people as well. I have a very soft brisle brush and use warm water to clean my eggs. The way I look at it is, you wouldnt buy any other food with poop on it so why not just clean the eggs and get good sales.

salmanilla in eggs is caused by poop getting in the egg it's self from the shell. I wash all my eatting eggs as they come in the house. They do not pass go with out hitting the sink first. I use a cheap Dollar Store fingernail brush to scrub them.

If you are hatching them they should not be washed. There is a film or coating on them that preserves them. If the person knows you will be eating them, it would be nice to have them clean, but in my opinon the fresher the better. I don't mind washing the eggs before I eat them.

Quote:
I agree. I highly doubt Land O Lakes or whatever brands are thinking about bloom and they are way older that the ones we get!
Then again who knows what else they use on those eggs.....
sickbyc.gif

Anyway, I'd ask your egg provider why she does this, maybe shes just lazy, not even thinking about bloom!

If you don't wash them, then you don't have to refrigerate them (this is what many in europe do). But once washed, bacteria can get in, so they need to be kept cold to prevent spoiling.

I keep my nestboxes clean and try to make sure the eggs never get dirty. If an egg is a little dirty I'll wash it, if it is very dirty then it is fed to the dogs or chickens. If one of the girls poops in the nest and soils all the eggs, then they all get fed to the pets. I've had a few eggs where the poop stains are inside the egg even after washing (the egg was basically sitting in poop), so anything with more than a smear is not for human consumption.

If an egg has a lot of poo on it, I'll wash it right before use and it goes into baking. I NEVER wash any egg that I sell. I also never sell eggs with more than a smear on them. I am fortunate enough to have customers that understand about bloom. They would probably stop buying if I started washing. Educate the customer, problem solved.

Quote:
This. I don't wash them with water unless absolutely necessary because I think it does more harm than good. However, I keep stained eggs for myself coz it doesn't bother me.
I dry-clean the ones that I sell either with a scrubby washcloth (the kind for dishes with the scrubby thing) or really fine sandpaper --- and only sell the ones that clean up. I would NEVER sell dirty eggs!

Mine are rarely poopy, but I have noticed that they sometimes get purple streaks on them from my hens' colored aluminum legbands. I bet that would raise some questions if I didn't scrub them off
lol.png

I have found its much easier converting "supermarket" buyers to my eggs if they are sparkling clean. None of them care about bloom, all they want are fresh eggs....clean fresh eggs. As hard as it is to get people to convert to fresh free range eggs from the convenience of the supermarket, Im happy to wash the eggs. Right now I sell every egg that is laid, so its important to me to keep buyers happy. I do cherry pick thru the eggs, the small ones, the ones that dont clean up well, stay here for baking or for puppies. I only give the prettiest cleanest eggs to customers.

Back
Top Bottom