Who watches the chickens when you go on vacation???

I have paid my vet's teenager to chicken-sit. It was summer & it worked.

This past holiday season, I hired a woman who works part time for my husband. She had never been around chickens, so I was very careful to show her how I wanted things done & to leave her written directions. Good thing I included a handyman friend's contact info. The lady went in to feed the chickens - had my house keys in her hand (?)
idunno.gif
- was attacked by my roo and dropped the keys into 6 inches of deep litter
th.gif
. Could not find the keys, had to call my friend to use HIS keys, eventually found keys using another person's metal detector.
clap.gif

The moral of that story is to have a Plan A, a Plan B, a Plan C...

I find it never hurts to have a house-sitter when I'm gone. I have 2 other pets, and don't trust my neighbors very much, so I always have someone watch the whole house. Sometimes you can find a college kid on break, or one living with their family that would love a week off. These you can pay nominally, or sometimes just the freedom of living by themselves for a while is enough pay. Of course, the kids we choose are really nice people and trustworthy, so we give them carte blanche while we're away. We've done this 5 times with 3 different people, and it has always turned out well. Another time, it was someone who lived an hour from where she worked, and we lived 5 blocks from her workplace. We didn't have to pay her either... the savings in gas were enough!
Just a few possibilities.
smile.png

thanks to everyone for their suggestions...the housesitter keeps coming up. But we live in rural france. Not in a neighborhood we live in the country in another country. we don't know people who housesit, just doesn't happen around here. So that is out.

The big quesiton is: Can i leave them in the coop Friday and Saturday with plenty of food and plenty of water, they will be safe but not able to come out for 2 days.

Alisa, your chickens will be fine locked up if they have enough food and water. There are many times during the winter when my chickens haven't come out for a couple of days due to very cold weather. They will really be fine. Have fun.
smile.png

thanks citygirl - 2 of you said it would be ok for them to be locked up for 2 days...they'll probably be ticked off but they'll be fine.

We take our vacations as an extended family at the beach. My parents, sister and her 2

sons, my youngest 2 children, myself and a couple of family friends. My husband doesn't care

to go with us on these vacations so he is left with the responsibilty of caring for the chickens

and dog. It works for us.

I can't go on vacation because there's no one around me who feels comfortable enough to take care of chickens!
barnie.gif
I still couldn't imagine living sans chickens. I love them!

Suzy

We're very lucky to have a local couple who will not only take care of our dogs and cat but our parrots and chickens as well. The husband was raised on a farm and has no problem with it at all.

We'll be traveling to NY for a week at the end of May and I'm very secure knowing that my pets will be very well taken care of.

Laurie

I am lucky enough to have a couple of friends who fight over who's day it is to come over and check my clucks when I'm gone! I've actually been BACK, and they still come over - it must be that narcotic my chickens were dusted with...everyone wants to take care of them. And God has blessed me with sweet and generous friends.

Back
Top Bottom