Who's hatching around Jan 10? 1st try, Could use the "moral support!"

somewhere about half way through the incubation you will have a temp spike its because the chicks get big enough to start giving off their heat. I always circle on the calender the 13 14 and 15 day of incubation so I know when to watch for it.

I have bantam cochins, maybe a frizzled or two, and silkies due on the 7th. Eight eggs in all can't wait to see what I got.
big_smile.png

After my bator died I moved my duck eggs to a different bator. They had been in the 80's for probably at least 8 hours. I only have one pekin egg that survived, but all 13 of the cayuga eggs are still going? That makes no sense to me, but maybe because the pekin eggs had a rough trip here? Or it could be that they were 2 days older than the cayuga eggs? Who knows? But I still have one pekin duck that is due on the 10th, and 13 cayugas due on the 12th.

Shelley.. Sorry about your other Pekins, but glad Cayugas are ok. You didn't mention Goose this time, is it ok or did it quit like you suspected on the 27th? I thought for sure if they were moving then they would be okay, but am new to this, so don't know much.
sad.png
Keeping
fl.gif
fl.gif
for all your other little egg babies!!!

Hi Jamie821, hows the padded goose suit going
wink.png
? Am only on day 11 today, all due on Jan 10th (unless Serama goes early, which I hear they SOMETIMES do)... Good to know about temp spike, tho... how high does it usually jump, and do you adjust incubator for it (turn it down?), or just kinda "let it ride"???

Candled again... yeah, I know I'm doing it a bit often, BUT will factor it in to my hatch rate, am quick & gentle, AND..... my daughters are mesmerized by the developing embryos, absolutely IN AWE, and honestly, it makes it well worth the (nominal) risk to me. Plus, they will clean up all of the Christmas toys INSTANTLY if I threaten not to candle (Ok, so I probably won't get "Mother of the Year" award for 2008). And the 10 remaining eggs seem to be doing very well as far as air cell size, veins, and embryo activity!! Still pretty early in the game, tho, so will see...
fl.gif

Happy New Year, all!! Hope 2009 brings lots of Happy Hatching!

PS: Minor question: I have a surgery
sickbyc.gif
scheduled for Friday Jan 02, will be able to turn eggs before I go in, BUT may be a bit "Gorked" till Saturday, don't know if I will turn them until then. Hubby offered to do it Fri PM, but is scared that will crack one with his big "Ham Hands", he would feel HORRIBLE if he did, so I think I would rather wait & do it myself... Is that a big deal (to turn only once on day 13)? Odds are I will be okay to do it Fri PM, but just asking in case I'm NOT... ??? Thanks!!
big_smile.png

No, they should be fine if you turn them only once. Do you have them in a carton? If not, hubby can just 'roll them' around, like rubbing his hand over them to move them, they don't necessarily need to be turned completely over all the time.

As for the goose egg, I'm not even sure it was a goose egg now. The person I got the eggs from said she thinks that it was just a different duck that was laying, cause her goose has started laying eggs that are twice the size of the ones she sent me. But, either way, it quit as well. I had to toss the quitters last night, one of them started to weep. I usually leave them in there forever, but not if they start weeping.

So it is only 1 pekin and 13 cayugas. I have some silkie eggs coming today, but they won't be due till the 21st of next month. I also set some of my pharoah hen's eggs, so they'll be due around the 16th or 17th, if they are fertile.

ETA: I also have 7 frizzles and 2 seramas that are due the 14th or so. Day 1 was Christmas.

Last edited:
Hi suellyn, when the temp spikes I turn thermostat down to get it back to right temp. about the goose suit having to look for the right material so I look like a canadian goose.LOL. Wheatie and my eggs are due on the tenth also so will be going along with all of you. Dont expect any pipping though until late twenty first day as The marans are slow pokes usually. we also have wyandottes in so maybe they wont make me wait as long. Also have a hatch coming the 5th of this month. good luck to all and cant wait to hear the words I have a pip. Love those three words.

Quote:
Believe me, I can't wait to SAY them (I hope, I hope)... Hope you & wheaties will be there to ride along!

Shelley- Thank you, no, not in carton although might put them in one for hatch; still undecided about that. Hubby will gladly but fearfully do it for me however I tell/show him, BUT Murphy's Law is one will prob get broken, just 'cause he is worried about it, he will seriously need some sort of therapy if THAT happens, so prob will just do it myself Fri PM, or wait til Sat AM if I am too looney from anesthesia!

I was hand turning mine just now and accidently cracked the absolutely last one!!! My hands were a bit cold and the egg slipped, then cracked, and I heard peeping...OH no! I remembered others have wrapped a wet paper towel on the egg when they did the same thing so I did...my first ones, including this egg aren't due to hatch until the 15 and its one of the banty white eggs:(

I KNEW I should just stop, run warm water over my hands and then finish! I didn't listen to myself...I'm excited its peeping but I'm dry incubating with humidity in house, added a small container of water in the 'bator as its very cold out now and when its this cold the humidity goes down. I use an 18 quart Nesco Roaster Oven for an incubator that has over 30 eggs in it, they sit in paper egg cartons. I'm not helping the chicks zip or hatch this time, they'll have to do it on their own and I'm hoping to decrease any chances of weakness or thriftiness by not helping them this time.

This is only the second time for dry incubation and a total of the 3rd time to incubate/hatch, ever. I was a miserable failure at high humidity/regular incubating and automatic turners so gave that up.

Last summer my weim grump retrieved a loon egg from a nest to me and her fang cracked the egg just like I just did. She gave it to me and I put it back in the nest which has humidity from the pond and wet feathers of mama loon swimming. Weeks later, I saw her swimming w/her two "eggs" as the babies hatched out just fine, when they were supposed to so I'm hoping mine will, too...(smiley pulling its hair!)

What day is the egg on? Definitely try wrapping it in a warm wet paper towel. I hate the paper egg cartons personally. They suck up all the humidity out of the bator. I hope the baby hatches ok!
fl.gif
(the pulling hair smiley is colon:))barnie
big_smile.png
)

Shelleyd, I'm dry hatching and its not due till the 15th- a bit too early! It was 6 below zero outside today so I'm cold and kept telling myself to stop and warm my hands but I was almost done. Haste makes waste...(added) I said I wasn't helping this hatch, they'd have to do it on their own and be strong, but here I am, already...do I have to keep the paper towel wet now until the 15th? I can't believe I just did that!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom