Why 5-chick minimum?

It probably helps them keep track of them better. Who knows?

McMurray lets you get whatever you want, IF you order early enough.

I thought that the minimum number was for the safety of the chicks. That you had to have a certain minimum for body warmeth to better survival during transit. Does that sound right?

Quote:
Yes, that's what I've heard!

MyPetChicken.com will send you a minimum of 3 chicks if you live in/near a major city, though. If you only want a few chicks, order from there.

Different minimums. There is a minimum per order usually 15-25 for heat, but most hatcheries also say you have to get at least 5 of each kind.

McMurray for instance will only ship 25 or more birds, but has no breed minimums, so you can get 25 different kinds

Quote:
That explains the minimum order but not the breed/sex minimum. They dont' need to be the same breed to keep each other warm.

You're right, it doesn't explain the breed/sex minimum.
Nature's Hatchery has a minimum order of 2 chicks and they say you don't need to live near a major city (mypetchicken.com has a 3 chick minimum only if you live near a big city). Which means the original question is still there-- how can one place have a minimum order of 25 and another place have a minimum order of 2? The ease of filling orders does seem valid.

Lets look at the shipping costs of the two: 15-25 chicks avg $15.00, 3 chicks $35.00, as they add a heat pad etc. to keep the few warm. Now as to why 5 per breed? I say call the hatchery ask and post back
tongue.png
... Then we will all know.

Back
Top Bottom