why aren’t my silkies laying anymore??

Faithasharp

Hatching
Aug 8, 2018
I just bought two white silkie hens that were hatched last year, the lady I bought them off of said that they are laying. The second day I had them one laid an egg. But since then they both haven’t laid any. I’ve had them for about a week and a half. I know silkies aren’t big layers but I figured they would of laid by now.

Hi faithasharp welcome to BYC!!:frow
I don't have any experience with silkies but, only being a year old they should be laying. Myself, i spoil by hens and try to keep them happy with layer feed , oyster shell, grit, and fresh acv water three times a day. Every morning they get some mealworm . Also they roost high by a south window.
For entertainment they get a chicken center in their run with swings, ladders, roosts, and dust box. I have six hens Clara,Rosa,Harriet,Scarlett,Dotty and charlotte they are 3 years old and I get an average of a dozen eggs a week.
Now that I have a huge garden they've been treating on sweet corn, pumpkin blossoms, melons, sparingly tho.The heat has been an issue too, so I have misters in the run and huge fans in the coop.
I hope you figure out what your girls are lacking. I'm sure others on BYC will be of great help too! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom