Why can a broody......

The broodiest hatchery chickens that I had were the White-laced Red Cornish. This cross between a White-laced Red Cornish and a Light Brahma was the best and most frequent automatic Incubator I ever had.
full

full

full
I've wanted some red-laced Cornish. They're so pretty, and if they go broody easily, well...

The ironic thing is that most breeders (commercial) have bred out broodiness in many breeds, making it so rare. :rolleyes: Is that for money so that people have to buy an incubator or more chicks?

The non-broody, Mediterranean breeds have been being selected that way since the ancient Egyptians first figured out how to artificially incubate eggs. Other peoples used broody-breed bantams to incubate while their primary egg-laying breeds did their job -- lay eggs without taking months off to rear chicks. :)

Don't hold your breath. I had Brahmas for years (5+) and not one single broody in the lot.

I've only had two Brahmas before -- the Dark variety -- and both went broody in their second year. Noodle was so determined a broody that she managed to hide an egg and hatch it even while I was taking the eggs away from her.

Don't hold your breath. I had Brahmas for years (5+) and not one single broody in the lot.
That and 18 weeks is to young for Brahmas to lay. They are a slower to mature breed.
I have two brahmas, both four years old and they’ve never been broody either. Excellent layers even at four years old though. Massive chickens! I would absolutely love to have more of them in the future.

The non-broody, Mediterranean breeds have been being selected that way since the ancient Egyptians first figured out how to artificially incubate eggs. Other peoples used broody-breed bantams to incubate while their primary egg-laying breeds did their job -- lay eggs without taking months off to rear chicks. :)

I've only had two Brahmas before -- the Dark variety -- and both went broody in their second year. Noodle was so determined a broody that she managed to hide an egg and hatch it even while I was taking the eggs away from her.

I had darks, buff and light brahmas. I am thinking environment, genetics and more go into IF they will go broody. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom