Why did grass kill my beloved hen?

BlueChai

Chirping
Feb 23, 2018
Almost a year ago, I got two silkies and a satin silkie from a breeder. I raised them up until they were ready to go outside, and they always had access to clean water, feed, and treats such as oats, strawberries, mangos, and grass. My satin, Popo, always loved grass the most. Although, their fenced area I kept them in never grew much grass. So, I would always give them lawn clippings. There was never an issue with them eating the clippings, and they enjoyed them. But, three days ago, Popo started to act strange. She didn't lay a single egg all week, but she wasn't eggbound. She started to have less energy than she usually did, and didn't eat or drink and just sat around and slept all day. She also felt lighter than usual. So I started to force feed and water her to keep nutrition in her until I figured out what was wrong. I asked around and no one I knew was quite sure what was happening. Today, my boyfriend and I discovered she had long blades of undigested grass hanging out of her vent. We tried to get it out of her by putting warm water on her vent and gently pulling the grass out. It felt like the grass never ended, and we were shocked. About a minute into slowly but surely removing the grass, Popo had a violent seizure and died almost instantly afterwards. I was absolutely devastated, and I never cried so much over a chicken passing away. I decided I would never feed my flock grass again.

I'm not quite sure what happened. I've heard of impacted crop, but impacted intestines? I've never heard of such a thing happen. Does anyone have experience with this, or know why the grass didn't digest? I want to know so I can have some closure and know what to do if this somehow happens again. Thank you.

That was absolutely an impacted crop as well as intestines. The blades of grass are too long and become balled up instead of getting ground down. You can STILL feed grass clippings, but mulch them down a bit and make sure there are plenty of grit for the chickies to eat to help with digestion in their crops.

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

So sorry about your loss!
It sounds like she was packed full of grass and was unable to digest it. It is important to feed the chickens food before letting them out to forage on grass to prevent this, If you are giving clippings make sure that it is chopped up really good.

Sorry to hear this.. :hugs
Maybe there was just something particular about Popo. :idunno Your other chickens are fine. I have been keeping chickens for 20+ years. They have access to fresh grass as well as all the grass clippings I throw into run area as bedding. There is also hay and straw at times present. I have never experienced impacted crop.
Do not blame yourself. Some things just happen. Not everything is preventable.
WISHING YOU BEST,, and :welcome

I never use grass clippings, the oil and gas can leak on them as well as all the dirt from prior cuttings. I go out and hand pull grass for my chickens and ducks, and the geese grab their own. :) I've raised chickens off and on for almost 30 years, and have never had a problem feeding hand-pulled grass. for my smaller chicks , i even cut the grass up with scissors so it's smaller .. of course the big chickens scarf down the shorter pieces as well. :) I'm retired for the last 20 yrs, so sitting in the pen with my girls is very relaxing for me. They often fight for a place on my lap so they can eat out of my hand.

Thank you guys for the advice, I really appreciate it.
I feed my chickens grass clippings in the summer but never let it get long when they eat standing grass on there own they rip small pieces never long ones and they need grit. I also feed them all fodder I grow in the winter I cut that up in about 1 inch pieces never have a problem. Sorry for your loss.

I've seen chickens digest grass like no tomorrow with no problem. Yet just about every chicken I've seen in a veterinary practice with an impacted crop is because grass has twisted up like a rope and and blocked everything. Like a stuffed toy in the commode. Usually surgical removal takes care of the problem. I've noticed over the years that Silkies are a bit more delicate than regular breeds. All that fluffy fur/feathers is gorgeous to look at but apparently vigor has been bred out of them. Doesn't take much to upset their delicate balance. I know there will be folks who say their Silkies are as robust as any breed and my opinion means nothing, but this is simply what I have noticed throughout the years.

Anyway, I'm sorry you lost your beloved pet in such a manner. Truly heartbreaking.

Did they have access to grit? (Don't feel badly if you say "no", what's done is done.) just wondering because i had no idea this could happen. Mine don't usually get grass clippings, those mulch the garden, but they certainly eat grass.

Back
Top Bottom