Why did I loose a chick???

chickenexpert55

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
I got a few wyondottes the other day, and they were just fine, until I found one flipped over. I looked at her, and she seemed fine, but the next day, she passed away! So sad! Does anyone know what happened?

Occasionally this does happen. The stress of shipping is too much for them, especially if the chick had a difficult hatch. Keep an eye on the other chicks. Make sure all of them are eating and drinking. Add a chick electrolyte supplement to the water. Make sure the temperature is where it should be and there is good ventilation. A picture of your set-up may help.

This product works great! Though unflavored Gatorade will work in an emergency.
1615071904293.png

Hello,
I had the same thing happen to me. So when I got more, I watched them like a hawk (pun intended) 😆. I noticed one was not running from me so I pulled her out and fed her water with sugar and salt mixed with a lil bit of food (I got the recipe for electrolyte water online). I gave her 2-3 drops every 2 hours for a day. Then, I placed a few friends in with her when she started acting normal. I think she was stressed or intimidated, but they can be recovered if that is all it is, and it's not easy to tell by appearance. However, I have noticed the ones lower on the pecking order are not as aggressive witg the food. I single them out and feed them separately often so I don't have that issue again. And thankfully I haven't. Hope that helps. And google "electrolyte water for chickens" or you can buy a package at TSC

Might just be a one-off, a chick that didn't handle being shipped as well as the others. Or it could've had some other preexisting health issue. I assume you also have been checking for pasty butt?

Back
Top Bottom