Why Do People Buy Live Chicks From Breeders and Farm Stores‭?

The ancient Egyptians and Chinese are supposedly the first folks to hatch chickens in incubators. If they can do it so can you.

The Amish are really quite modern however they tell me that most of the things that the non Amish find cute is designed by the Amish so that they don't look like they want to standout or look like they think that they are better than their neighbors..
At what auto dealership can I buy a horse and buggy. Amish in my area use them not cars and trucks unless they hire a taxi..... Also I wonder if the John Deere dealership has those new fangled grain and grass models of tractors that I see the Amish pull their equipment with. I wonder how much electricity an ice box uses?????

I once went up to Elkhart Indiana area and toured an RV manufacturing plant.
Full of amish using all electric and air tools. Everything any other company would use.
They worked their @sses off because if they didn't work as hard and as fast as the next guy they were shamed.
The quality sucked because of it. I saw whole rows where the staples completely missed the studs.
Times are changing but some did take the horse and buggy to work. Most rode bicycles though.

I once went up to Elkhart Indiana area and toured an RV manufacturing plant.
Full of amish using all electric and air tools. Everything any other company would use.
They worked their @sses off because if they didn't work as hard and as fast as the next guy they were shamed.
The quality sucked because of it. I saw whole rows where the staples completely missed the studs.
Times are changing but some did take the horse and buggy to work. Most rode bicycles though.
But they worked for someone else, in that respect they are like anyone else if someone owns a business and hires them they do the same work anyone else does.... In fact those companies in that part of Indiana LOVE to hire Amish because by law they do not have to pay the employers half of SSI, unemployment ins. and workman's comp. The Amish went to the feds and got themselves excluded from those programs. So even if they pay an Amish worker the same wage as a non-Amish the employers file a form with the govt saying they have an Amish worker and they don't have to pay that stuff more $$$ in their wallet for the same money....

I think it depends on the order? they belong to. The Amish that lived in Md would simply hire English to use whatever technology was necessary to do the job. I thought it was pretty ingenious!

@Ridgerunner
Thanks for bothering to post and making a reasonable post without adhominem.
There isn’t much point in continuing the thread because many posters do not read the full post and don’t follow the progression of the thread. It is a long thread now so it requires some effort.
My objection to hatcheries is outlined in the post you answered.
My objection to breeders has been the lack of biosecurity and the selling of diseased chicks.
All the objections are about live chicks sales, not eggs, not pullets, not backyard chicken keeping...
This seems to get overlooked. It would take me hours to respond to each poster and defend my points. Add to this the trolling and off topic content, which I have had my part in, and the thread becomes very difficult to follow. It’s a shame. A lot of people have viewed it and some have sent PM’s rather than contribute directly to the thread.
Just gotta ask. How many chicks have you had delivered to you from a hatchery? I must of missed it.

Where I live, there are song birds and the rescue center in the adjacent National Park gets hundreds of these birds that are confiscated from trappers who sell these birds to people who ‘want’. Fortunately the trapping is illegal but many of these birds are injured in the traps. I can’t explain how heart breaking it is to hold a gold crest, or one of the other tiny little birds in your hand as you try to mend a broken wing. This happens because there is money to be made because people want.
This is a little off topic but I’m wondering about those songbirds...? It’s illegal to sell or even possess them anywhere in North America, they’re federally protected by international treaties. Even if they’re accidentally caught by trappers all they can do is remove them from the trap and leave them there, you need a federal permit from your government to possess them, whether us, Canada or Mexico, and they only grant them for science or education purposes, so how are people selling them to those who “want”?

You are allowed to defend your stock, but the law isn't very well defined.
Goshawks are protected, the mink isn't. The Falcons are, the weasels aren't.
It carries on something like that. I like the wildlife. I just wish they would hunt somewhere else.
Are you sure about that? Even protected hawks can be shot for killing your livestock, that law dates back to the 1920’s, and furbearers like mink can only be trapped by licensed trappers, though again you can shoot them if they’re killing livestock

Back
Top Bottom