WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP CHICKENS INSIDE THEIR HOMES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing people allow chickens in their beds for the same reason they smoke or drink, they sacrifice future them for the happiness of current them. Some people just don’t know, especially kids, some don’t know and don’t care, and some are told, but choose to see fault in the science rather than their husbandry. They’ll do what they want. I’ve had a smoker in the family tell me to follow the science about covid, even though smoking causes twice as many deaths every year as covid has. If something makes someone happy, they will do or say anything to protect it. You have to make a choice just like talk of politics, is pushing this issue worth losing friends over? Because you won’t change their mind, they will choose their comfort over your words every time. Chances are, if they get sick from it, it won’t be fatal, and then they will probably rethink the issue.

Here's my theory. Many, many humans do not have the brain wiring to grasp the concept of germs. They find it difficult to impossible to imagine something they cannot see as being potentially dangerous. Just look at how many people have a hard time taking Covid 19 seriously enough to wear a mask in public.

Others, as has been mentioned, figure the risk to their health is minimal as long as they wash their hands and keep any poop cleaned up.

I would love to have a pet bird But I do not want something pooping all over as you describe. I’m glad I have chickens instead. They live outside and only have controlled inside visits. I think people know that chickens have diseases but their love for their birds Out weighs the possible risks. Just like people who let their dogs lick their faces. Love is your answer plain and simple. They love them.

Ok, so I tried to ask somebody why they have pictures of their chickens all over their bed (like, a nice bed with a comforter and everything) and of course, people jumped all over me about it. I really need to know, from rational people who are educated in avian diseases, Why do people do this? I am not being nasty, I am incredulous as to why people don’t understand that barnyard animals belong in a barn.... for health reasons. Then people make ridiculous comparisons about dogs and cats, when they carry a completely different disease profile than POULTRY. It’s not worth it arguing with these people, so again someone rational and educated please tell me what these people are thinking.
Serious explanations only. I don’t need people telling me off, I need answers.
The people who do probably got one without knowing the dangers of having them in ones house or just don't care. I kept my baby turkeys in my room, they were in containment but still in my room until they featherd in. I did it so I could build a bond, I knew the risk and what could happen, but made sure it was sanitary(as sanitary as I could be) and in the end, no harm was caused on my side or theirs. But that's just why I would or think others would.

Yeah, some people have pet chickens. Yes chickens can carry diseases, but like someone else mentioned, so can dogs and cats and any other animal including humans. Of course the diseases are different then a cat or dog, but still diseases. Toxo versus salmonella? Allergies to feather dander versus skin dander (actually saliva). Dirty dog? Dirty chicken? Lice or mites sprinkling on the bed versus cat/dog fleas? It’s just a matter of perspective and what you are used to. Do you know that the people don’t wash their feet off or use chicken diapers, or some other cleaning activity? What is different between another type of bird versus a chicken? I would guess (or hope rather) a house chicken is dewormed and vetted just like an inside dog or cat ought to be.

So perspective, how you are raised/what your used to, and mitigation of potential zoonotic disease?

Of course the question also arises is if these people have researched possible disease risks and what or if they do anything ... So many people don’t for dogs and cats, or freak out when they do ...

I too have never understood it. I also dont understand people who let an animal that has no control over its sphincter to walk all around their home. This meaning guinea pigs, birds, chickens and the like. I've personally owned a rabbit, a rat, a gerbil and a hamster. Only the rat was allowed to walk around freely because I trained it to do its business in its cage. My problem is not with the idea of disease...its the poop. I see people all the time that just let pigeons, cockateils, and birds just fly around their home with NO diaper. Poop would be everywhere unless you followed that bird all around cleaning up behind it. I dont think I could live like that. Maybe someone with birds like this could explain how they deal with the poo problem? :idunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom