WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP CHICKENS INSIDE THEIR HOMES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it's a case of having only one chicken left in the flock and the owner may be winding down on their chicken keeping days.

The bird may have disabilities that prevent it from being with the rest of the flock...blindness, deformaties or other physical injuries/ailments.

And some people just see chickens as pets they wish to pamper.

Yeah, some people have pet chickens. Yes chickens can carry diseases, but like someone else mentioned, so can dogs and cats and any other animal including humans. Of course the diseases are different then a cat or dog, but still diseases. Toxo versus salmonella? Allergies to feather dander versus skin dander (actually saliva). Dirty dog? Dirty chicken? Lice or mites sprinkling on the bed versus cat/dog fleas? It’s just a matter of perspective and what you are used to. Do you know that the people don’t wash their feet off or use chicken diapers, or some other cleaning activity? What is different between another type of bird versus a chicken? I would guess (or hope rather) a house chicken is dewormed and vetted just like an inside dog or cat ought to be.

So perspective, how you are raised/what your used to, and mitigation of potential zoonotic disease?

Of course the question also arises is if these people have researched possible disease risks and what or if they do anything ... So many people don’t for dogs and cats, or freak out when they do ...

Again, not an answer. The disease profiles for poultry are completely different to those of cats and dogs. I am aware of bugs and the microscopic germs we unknowingly ingest everyday. That has nothing to do with why someone would allow bacteria covered poultry near where they lay there heads at night. We learned a very long time ago how to properly contain and reduce the spread of disease. Having poultry loose in your house is the opposition of those teachings and the things we learned about Cholera.
My dogs roll in dead stuff all the time. They are not allowed on my bed.
We only learn what they want us to know. They only tell us what they want to tell us. live and learn as you go. Not every
See, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. To each their own can be said about any unhealthy habit - doesn’t explain what people are thinking. I see what comes out of my chickens rear end and I don’t want that anywhere near where I lay my head at night. Why would this not bother someone?
Chicken diapers, LOL that is how I take care of that problem. And keeping a clean and disinfect home. If your willing to keep your bird indoors you have to be willing to keep everything clean at all times. And not everyone is as fortunate as you to have a yard with a coop.

We only learn what they want us to know. They only tell us what they want to tell us. live and learn as you go. Not every

Chicken diapers, LOL that is how I take care of that problem. And keeping a clean and disinfect home. If your willing to keep your bird indoors you have to be willing to keep everything clean at all times. And not everyone is as fortunate as you to have a yard with a coop.
??? Really? Then they shouldn’t have chickens. Plain and simple.

??? Really? Then they shouldn’t have chickens. Plain and simple.
Some people shouldn't have children, but it happens. LOL There's nothing you can say or do. People will live their own life just as you are living your own life. Anyway, I really thought this site was for chicken lovers. We all have our own story, you make yours how ever you want. Therapy??? Some of those people need counseling themselves, and you're willing to pay them ridicules money for it. And we only learn what they want to put out there for us to learn, not everything they teach us is right. We live and we learn every day as we go. When God created us, we were all naked, we didn't have houses or chicken coops. We all walked around with all the animals and we had to learn to survive with them. I can keep going and going, but honestly, you do whatever you want inside of your home and I will do whatever I want in mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom