Why do we love chickens so much?

I think it's in our genes. Chickens have been domesticated for a long time. Those who kept chickens were surely healthier and happier than those who did not. Therefor they lived to reproduce and pass on their chicken loving genes. chickens connect us to our ancestors. I read a journal my grandmother kept. In it, she tallied the number of eggs she collected each day, or how many she sold to the country store. She noted when chicks came in the mail. And she noted the first time she herself bought eggs after she retired and moved off the farm. I feel a connection to the woman who died long before I was born through our mutual interest in chickens.

Chickens are so friendly and curious. It is so easy to lose time just watching them scratch around the yard.
Everyday when I collect eggs, it is like getting gifts. I still anticipate collecting eggs and counting up the day's total. Everyone who comes over to visit wants to see the chickens and they are always amazed by how friendly, funny, and interesting they are.

I love that they never intentionally hurt me, or seek out to fight me in any way. And I love the cute bounding thing they do when they're racing to a new treat. And my girl Roast knows her name, she comes when I call her <3

I think it's in our genes. Chickens have been domesticated for a long time. Those who kept chickens were surely healthier and happier than those who did not. Therefor they lived to reproduce and pass on their chicken loving genes. chickens connect us to our ancestors. I read a journal my grandmother kept. In it, she tallied the number of eggs she collected each day, or how many she sold to the country store. She noted when chicks came in the mail. And she noted the first time she herself bought eggs after she retired and moved off the farm. I feel a connection to the woman who died long before I was born through our mutual interest in chickens.
I soo agree with you. My gramma, a quiet humble german lady. passed when i was 15, but i still remember her wisdom..She was a stong lil lady and kept livestock all her life. She gave me so much information on keeping and caring for any of the livestock. She helped me understand that even if they are meant for food, they deserve love and good care from us. Its just the right thing to do. I wish i had her knowledge and compassion. Even our meat chickens i spend time picking each one up and giving treats, it will be hard to see them go.We all need to go back to what our family members taught us, and keep it going!

love.gif
I love chickens!

A little boy was walking down the beach throwing all the starfish back into the sea that had been stranded. A man came along and said you are wasting your time--there are so many --why bother it won't make any difference? The little boy proceeded to throw a starfish into the sea and said "well it made a difference to that one.
I love this story.
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

I thought I would like having chickens, but I LOVE having chickens. We are new to being a chicken family; our girls are 22 wks old and just started laying. Everytime we find eggs, I feel like we have been given a precious gift. The girls are funny, sweet, and curious. I love when I come home after work, seeing all 12 of them running top speed toward the car, clucking and cooing. Melts my heart. I love watching them busily scratching in the gardens, eating berries, and chasing off chipmunks. I can't imagine life without them. Each of them is so special to me.

Back
Top Bottom