Why don't people listen... Rant

Pics
Have you ever applied to purchase a purebred puppy? Some cost $1200 or more. You have to fill out 8 to 10 pages of paperwork and qualify for the privilege. And if you don't have an adequately fenced yard, forget about it. They won't even interview you. Yes interview you. And they want to know your pet history. How many dogs have you had in the past? What happened to them? How long did they live? How many do you have now? Why are you in the market for a new dog? Etc. How many children in the home? What are their ages? Who will be responsible for feeding and walking to dog?

If they don't like your answers, you don't even get on the premesis to see the puppies. And they don't care if they hurt you feelings. They'll thell you straight up you don't meet their requirements to receive one of their precious puppies. So sad, too bad.

Maybe we should have similar screening processes for our chicks and chickens. Here, fill out this form and I'll let you know if you qualify to buy one of my birds. Someone will be over to inspect your premises over the weekend.

Have you ever applied to purchase a purebred puppy? Some cost $1200 or more. You have to fill out 8 to 10 pages of paperwork and qualify for the privilege. And if you don't have an adequately fenced yard, forget about it. They won't even interview you. Yes interview you. And they want to know your pet history. How many dogs have you had in the past? What happened to them? How long did they live? How many do you have now? Why are you in the market for a new dog? Etc. How many children in the home? What are their ages? Who will be responsible for feeding and walking to dog?

If they don't like your answers, you don't even get on the premesis to see the puppies. And they don't care if they hurt you feelings. They'll thell you straight up you don't meet their requirements to receive one of their precious puppies. So sad, too bad.

Maybe we should have similar screening processes for our chicks and chickens. Here, fill out this form and I'll let you know if you qualify to buy one of my birds. Someone will be over to inspect your premises over the weekend.

So very true. While reading this I was thinking I need to put people through that application process before I sell them chickens. With the small gene pool for my breed, I'm heartbroken when I sell some nearly perfect birds and hear about them being killed.
I probably wouldn't feel that way if I raised a common breed but there are so few of these, they shouldn't be wasted on someone who will be less than careful with them.

Last edited:
I think a little different. Grew up in farm country. Dogs were pets, chickens were livestock. Farmers took care of there flock, but they had losses. Seen many a " old school" farm coop from the 50's 60's. They were far from what we are told is adequate today.

Only in the past 20 yrs or so have people started having chickens for pets. However they are classified as livestock. I do everything I can to keep my flock safe, but I'm certainly not opposed the frying one, or more, of them up. They are livestock IMHO. If someone considers their birds pets, that's up to them.

My client is learning. She spent a boat load of money trying to do the right thing. That much I give her credit for.

I've already mentioned a few modifications to her, and to do some research on drafts and venting.

I am not going to sell to her again. I can’t with good conscience provide chicks to someone who refuses to learn (and is over the legal limit on # of hens in the city). She knows she can only have a certain number of chickens and she continues to want more. I know they are addicting but she needs some self control. She complains about the ones she already has taking up too much time. Ugh. When she asks me for chicks I just tell her they are all spoken for.
People are so often afraid of just speaking the truth (kindly). This woman who is allowing her chickens to be taken by predators over and over needs people to say "I have put a lot of time and effort into hatching these chicks and I want them to be protected and live long happy lives so I'm afraid I cannot, in good conscience, sell any more to you in light of your chicken-keeping practices. My chicks are not disposable". It could be why people unload such venom on social media...we have lost the ability to confront others truthfully and kindly. Maybe we all need to do more of that.

Not everyone can physically build a coop even if they understand carpentry.
But understanding carpentry, and chicken housing needs, can help you purchase an adequate building...most still need some tweaking, so some carpentry/fabrication skills go a long way when chickeneering.
Any type of 'farming'(what many backyard chicken keepers call themselves) requires facility maintenance skills. It's one of many 'realities' the crush the 'romance' of chickeneering.

You have to fill out 8 to 10 pages of paperwork and qualify for the privilege.
Had to do that at SPCA too (years ago anyway),
it was annoying but a 'good thing', IMO.
Most questions, repeated multiple times in different ways, were about the reality of the cost of keeping an animal safe and healthy annually and lifelong.

But understanding carpentry, and chicken housing needs, can help you purchase an adequate building...most still need some tweaking, so some carpentry/fabrication skills go a long way when chickeneering.
Any type of 'farming'(what many backyard chicken keepers call themselves) requires facility maintenance skills. It's one of many 'realities' the crush the 'romance' of chickeneering.

Had to do that at SPCA too (years ago anyway),
it was annoying but a 'good thing', IMO.
Most questions, repeated multiple times in different ways, were about the reality of the cost of keeping an animal safe and healthy annually and lifelong.
So true. Same in the dog world. I have students who bring dogs who are two-four years old and they've had the dog since a baby and have provided NO training, no boundaries....and they say "Can't take it any more....I want to train the dog". The dog and person stand there together and you can see there's just NOTHING passing between them....no connection. When you take on responsibility for another living thing....in my mind, you have a responsibility to help make the quality of life for that living thing the best that you are able. And....to continue to learn.... "When I knew better....I did better" (not my words but not sure where I read that). It's the only life that living thing will have....the experiences it has, the nutrition, the safety and the pleasant experiences are all resting in our hands.

My sister has a couple of dogs. I love my sister but don't go to her house because of the dogs. They are truly unruly. Years ago when we had our dogs we taught them commands and they listened. My sister among others, to them their pets are their children. She talks to them in sentences like they understand, for example "Casey don't do that" instead of teaching them what no means. It drives me nuts and I tell her. She has hired a trainer. The trainer needs to train her on how to train her dogs.

The trainer needs to train her on how to train her dogs.
90+% of dog training is training the dog owner...and I believe many owners are incorrigible.

Main reason I don't want another dog after the 3rd and last one died is I know I don't have the energy and right attitude to train properly...not fair to the dog and not something I want to live with.

I think one reason people don't listen is because they are optimists. Not necessarily lazy, or have bad intent or short attention spans. People just don't know what they don't know, so they assume what they DO know is correct and sufficient! They're unaware of the extent of their ignorance. As @Building Bridges stated above, "when I knew better, I did better." Those who are knowledgeable have to be willing to share that knowledge in order to improve things, not just pass judgment and criticize. It's what I love about BYC! So many people here are so willing to share their time, experience, knowledge and expertise with those who come asking for help. If only everyone with a little knowledge would do that in other areas, what a wonderful world ....!

And yes, most animals are fairly easy to train and/or manage.... once you get their humans on board! ;)

Back
Top Bottom