Why have my hens suddenly quit laying

I have seven adult hens, one was broody so I got her some fertile eggs but they all were broken before hatching, one hen is molting but nobody is laying. I am getting one or two eggs a day most days just one. They have a large fence to run in, plenty of water, laying pellets, some scraps. I have had a hawk flying overhead and it got one of my pullets. Could this be scaring them so that they won't lay? It's getting a little frustrating when I have to buy laying pellets and eggs.They are all 1 1/2 to 2 years old. They didn't lay well over the summer but it was beastly hot in Louisiana this year. Now that it's cooler I am hoping that they will start laying again. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It's molting season. Some hens molt very hard, others have a barely noticeable molt. It's very normal for production to slow down prior to the molt. So even if you don't think they are all molting yet, they may be starting to very soon. Layer pellets are for actively laying hens only, so you may want to switch to a grower and supplement with crushed oyster shell until they all start laying regularly again.

Thanks, I'm going to try this. I have some pullets and the big girls are always dying to get into their pen to get at their food. I guess I'll let them for a while.

I'm up to 8-9 eggs a day from my 9 white leg horns. Finally I got a younger rooster 4 mths old buff Orpington, but my little girls want to pick fights with him,I've had him next to them for several weeks to get used to him,but when I put them in the same pen my girls who are not as big as him, they are the aggressive ones and chase him and peck on him especially if he eats some food,but I need some fertilized eggs for my incubator? Is he just too young at 4 1/2 mths but larger than my egg layers. Any info on what to do? Your welcome to call or text me too? 731-659-1230 YHVH Bless you all.

I'm up to 8-9 eggs a day from my 9 white leg horns. Finally I got a younger rooster 4 mths old buff Orpington, but my little girls want to pick fights with him,I've had him next to them for several weeks to get used to him,but when I put them in the same pen my girls who are not as big as him, they are the aggressive ones and chase him and peck on him especially if he eats some food,but I need some fertilized eggs for my incubator? Is he just too young at 4 1/2 mths but larger than my egg layers. Any info on what to do? Your welcome to call or text me too? 731-659-1230 YHVH Bless you all.
Just give them time. As long as you have multiple feeders available and he isn't actually getting hurt, it will be fine. He's young right now, and all the chasing and pecking is part of establishing pecking order. It's just what chickens do when you add a new one to flock. It will pass. And once he matures, things will change.

So should I keep him separated in a touching pen next to them, until he gets older, or go ahead and put him in the same pen and let them keep on flogging and chasing him.He is supposed to be the dominant one, but I'm afraid if they keep him running from them he may never fertilize me some eggs?

It's fall! They are probably molting! When they up and stop laying that's probably what's occurring. Pay attention to giving them good protein and fats so they get through the molt!

So should I keep him separated in a touching pen next to them, until he gets older, or go ahead and put him in the same pen and let them keep on flogging and chasing him.He is supposed to be the dominant one, but I'm afraid if they keep him running from them he may never fertilize me some eggs?
He won't be the dominant one right away. He's brand new to the flock and has to earn the top spot. That will take time, and can only happen if he is in the flock. You need to let them work the pecking order out. It may seem rough, but as long as he isn't injured to the point of bleeding, leave them be.

Back
Top Bottom