Why is my brown leghorn not laying?

spiritpots

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Afton, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I have six mixed breed chickens and my two year old brown leghorn hasn't laid in almost two weeks (she is my only white egg layer so it's easy to know which eggs are hers). Prior to that she was laying every 2-3 days since the days have been getting longer. She had a slight limp for a couple days last week so wasn't very active but now that the limp is gone she moves around and free ranges without any trouble. She eats and drinks well and looks very healthy... bright red comb, clear eyes, no sign of mites and her feet look fine with no sign of infection. She also does not walk as though she is egg bound. She laid her last egg in the corner of the coop instead of the nesting box (she does this on occasion) so I've looked everywhere in the coop and run to see if she's been laying somewhere else but have've found any eggs. This is my second year with chickens so am not sure if this is normal or if I'm missing something. I truly appreciate any thoughts you may have!

You probably have one that's eating the eggs,check coop every few hours if you have time,is she the only one that's not laying??

Yes, she is the only one. I check the coop every couple of hours and usually get 3-4 eggs a day from the others, some days I get 5 eggs. I see the others taking turns in the nesting boxes but haven't see her in it for some time now.

I know they're not supposed to, but very often my 2yo Leghorns go broody. And they're small chickens, so they can stash them in some surprisingly small spots. And they're pretty good fliers (for chickens) so can stash them in some surprisingly high spots. I once had one hatch out 15 in the barn roof. It was not fun getting them down.

I know they're not supposed to, but very often my 2yo Leghorns go broody. And they're small chickens, so they can stash them in some surprisingly small spots. And they're pretty good fliers (for chickens) so can stash them in some surprisingly high spots. I once had one hatch out 15 in the barn roof. It was not fun getting them down.
Oh my gosh! Yes, she flew quite a distance yesterday. I guess I'd better start looking!

and free ranges without any trouble.
I'm betting she's found a 'better' place to lay.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I only free range my chickens when I'm able to be out with them and haven't see her sitting anywhere outside. The coop and run are big enough for everyone and the other 5 girls lay every day or two so there are eggs in the boxes throughout the day. When she has laid in the corner of the coop she has dug out a nest in the bedding. Is it possible that she is still doing this but maybe covering up the eggs? It doesn't seem likely but perhaps chickens do that sometimes. Or maybe she's just taking a break from laying... if two year old chickens even do something like that. I'll certainly keep looking high and low for a stash of white eggs!

I only free range my chickens when I'm able to be out with them and haven't see her sitting anywhere outside. The coop and run are big enough for everyone and the other 5 girls lay every day or two so there are eggs in the boxes throughout the day. When she has laid in the corner of the coop she has dug out a nest in the bedding. Is it possible that she is still doing this but maybe covering up the eggs? It doesn't seem likely but perhaps chickens do that sometimes. Or maybe she's just taking a break from laying... if two year old chickens even do something like that. I'll certainly keep looking high and low for a stash of white eggs!
Ah, so probably not the case.
Could very well be :fl
How old is she in months?

She 25 months old. Prior to the past couple of week she has laid 2-3 times a week since the daylight hours have increased. Last year she laid almost every day.

Back
Top Bottom