Why Orpingtons?

I think I am going to have to build a separate coop for orpingtons next year. I have some now but want to get lots more. I am really liking the way my orp chicks are turning out. My buff orps are getting bigger all the time now too.

It is normal I guess for people to be attracted to one breed over others. That is what makes us all unique. I have Orps and BR. and I have to admit to really favoring the overall Orp for the ultimate bird. They are just so gorgeous. The Barred rock though are such a kick in the personality department though. Love their spunk.

I am very happy with my choices.

I thought I had lost my 2 and 3 month old orps last night. The four that live in the chicken tractor didn't go to bed on their own and I had to find them around midnight. They were huddled int a pile in the long grass in my pasture. I went out and gathered them up and put them to bed.

My black orp roo Diesel is now the size of my salmon faverolle hens and maybe as big as my nhr hen. He is only 18 weeks old!

Quote:
I guess each chicken has its own personality. My dad's buff orp hen was evil. She attacked everyone and she squawked so loud if you even went near her (you could forget about picking her up!). She pecked the other hens and pulled their feathers out, one hen even got a huge wound (a little smaller than a baseball) that she is still healing from. Come to think of it, she acted rooish but I am 90% sure she was a "she". She was six or seven months old before my dad had to cull her, so I'm pretty sure we would know if she was a "he" by then.

She was even mean when she was a chick. When we got them from the feed store, if you put your hand in the box all the chicks would run away. Not her, she would run right to your hand and try to peck it to death, which was funny when she was a day old, but it was kind of scary when a full-sized standard hen comes right after you! I don't hold it against her breed though, it was just her personality and she could have been any kind of chicken and still be mean. I'd have no problem getting more orpingtons. In fact, I want to hatch some more soon.
big_smile.png

Dinos-rock, the personality on a bird is determined by two primary factors....genetics and environment.

I can only speak for myself on the genetics piece, in that we select only good natured birds for our breeding whenever possible, which ensures (in most cases) the offspring will carry the same disposition. Hatcheries, in most cases, breed in such large quantity that they do not pay attention to that specific of a detail on their birds.

Environmental conditioning starts as a day old chick, right through to adulthood - just like with human children. If the chick does not get enough attention and correction as it grows, it will turn out as you describe. With ongoing attention, nurturing and corrections, a chicken can (in most cases) be conditioned to have a great personality. Again, this can also go back to genetics and not be the final result due to poor breeding.

And then there are just birds on occasion that don't fit into the scheme of things, regardless of what you do. There is an exception to everything, so this one bird definitely doesn't depict the overall nature of the breed and could very likely just be an exception. I hope you will try orps again and get some wonderful representations of the breed.

Jody

Quote:
Your right, if it was my chicken I would have given it more attention; I treat my chickens like pets. My dad doesn't spend that much time with them (just to feed and water them); he just has them for eggs. However, when it started hurting the other chickens, he had to cull it. I would definetly get orps again. In fact, I am thinking about trying to hatch some eggs, and if I do, Orps are one of the firsts on my list.
smile.png
I really do like orps, that is just my experience so far with them. It won't be my last though....
wink.png

I just got my first batch of adorable baby "classic easter chicks" I am very excited to have hens with that much junk in the trunk, I have had Barred Rocks, I have Loved them too, pecking each other has been a problem, I am hoping this new batch won't have, because of their temperment.

Back
Top Bottom