Wild bird exposure?

Hens rule

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2015
US
I traveled to a lot of places today that have wild birds. The wild birds where geese and ducks but only their poop and where those birds have been. I'm wondering if those poops from those birds could transmit from my shoes, ect and give my chickens a contagious bird disease. The diseases I'm kind of worried about transmitting to my chickens are mareks or the bird flu.

Bird flu is I'm guessing about 100 miles away from where I am but I always try to take precautions and bio security more seriously. I'm not as worried about bird flu from the ducks and Geese but I am really worried about them getting mareks from those wild birds. Is mareks conman in water fowl in NY and the eastern side of the U.S. And is the bird flu? How big is the risk of my hens getting this? And can I go out to them and feed\give water and be around my hens.

I'm sorry about sounding sorta crazy or over protective but I do love my chickens a lot. :)

Clean your shoes, any diseases the geese and ducks had has a chance of passing to yours with exposure, I cant recommend any great ways to clean, I wear boots when around any other flocks so I just bleach them afterwards.

Thanks everyone.
I think I'll get a pair of shoes especially for going out to my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom