Wild Bird Seed & Quail

chickbird

Songster
May 4, 2009
I Am New To Raising Quail. Can Seed That You PUT Out In Bird Feeders Be Fed To Quail In Addition To Their Regular Food? Can Fruits Or Vegetables Be Given To Quail? Thanks

Last edited:
For those interested:

Red millet: high in protein, potassium, magnesium, and niacin
Canary grass seed: high in the eight essential amino acids, phosphorus, ash, and protein
White proso millet: high in protein, potassium, magnesium, and niacin
Niger thistle seed: high in protein, essential fats (contains essential trace minerals as well)
Rapeseed: contains essential fatty acids (omega 6 and omega 3)

A great table of the Amino acids table is here: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/amino-acids-summary.htm

You can give them just about anything you want, just be sure that the majority of their diet is their regular feed. Most wild bird seed mixes consist of milo, millet, sunflowers, wheat, corn, and things like that, so it certainly won't hurt them. Just make sure they have some type of grit to make it go down easier
smile.png
I often give my coturnix some of the doves' and pigeons' wild bird seed mix, you'd think it was Christmas!
lol.png

In addition to game bird crumbles I give all quail finch seeds. It provides them with a balanced diet as I don't feel like the crumbles have all the proper nutrition the birds need. Plus I get more eggs with the diet I have blended together so I know I am doing something right
big_smile.png

I make a mix of chicken scratch, cracked corn, wildbird finch mix, sunflower chip hearts, cockatiel molting and conditioner seed and cockatiel fruit and nut mix, mix all this together and feed a handful a day on the side from their gamebird food. I also provide millet sprays and milo sprays which they love.

Edit to add: And yes, fruits and veggies are a GREAT thing for them...mine go gaga for snap peas in the pod, quartered apples or peaches, lettuces, greens, broccoli slaw, and even hand picked clover when it is in season. (They will bowl you over for fresh clover!)

Last edited:
Quote:
I give mine a sprinkle of Parakeet molting and conditioner food too ! LOL! I don't have cockatiels yet. ;-) My little female button is molting right now , and boy does the top of her head look funny!
gig.gif

A good mix of finch seed and they love srpouts! I'll be starting a fall garden this week, and snap peas are on the list! I planned on some containers in the back yard, so i can just pick and toss in to the birds.

And besides the seeds, greens, and fruits, a few meal worms here and there.
wink.png

Yeah, meal worms are to DIE for! Have you tried the dried crickets? They LOVE those too.
smile.png

Quote:
Sort of... lol....
I've thrown in one or two that "expired" before feeding to the gecko's . lol...

They love the dead meal worm beetles too!

Do we have spoiled birds?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom