Will a hawk eat my hens??

Was wondering... what are pukekoes?
Pukeko__Porphyrio_porphyrio_melanotus.jpg

I am not a Kiwi so take that into consideration, but I don't know of a hawk species that is able to pickup and flyaway with a grown standard size hen or rooster.

Observe how difficult it is for the hawk in this video to move a RLR hen even 6 inches. If i am correct I think that 6 inches is equal to about 150mm in New Zealand terms. Whether the hawk can leave with your hens or not is immaterial because your chicken will in any case be dead.
I am not aware of a hawk species that could pick up a chicken either but I know most of them will go for a chicken. Although I have read a bald eagle can lift 4 to 5 pounds and take off with it. I don't know if those are in New Zealand though. We have a nest of them at a lake a couple miles from my house so I see them fly by from time to time. They are beautiful but still makes me uneasy

I am not aware of a hawk species that could pick up a chicken either but I know most of them will go for a chicken. Although I have read a bald eagle can lift 4 to 5 pounds and take off with it. I don't know if those are in New Zealand though. We have a nest of them at a lake a couple miles from my house so I see them fly by from time to time. They are beautiful but still makes me uneasy
We don't have eagles here.

Back
Top Bottom