Will a hen that's just hatched off her chicks except new born incubated chicks?

WGHowell

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
Middle Georgia
My incubated chicks hatched off Monday . The eggs the hen was on hatched today (Thursday) . Will the hen except the other chicks If I wait and put them with her after dark?

My incubated chicks hatched off Monday . The eggs the hen was on hatched today (Thursday) . Will the hen except the other chicks If I wait and put them with her after dark?
Maybe. Some broody hens will try to adopt and raise about any chicks, some don't. The chicks also need to imprint on the hen. It may or may not be too late for that. As Dobie said, only one way to find out.

That doesn't sound that encouraging, does it? I don't mean to be a pessimist. They are only 3 days old. I think you have an excellent chance for it to work. With living animals you don't get guarantees but I'd try it and expect it to work.

The way I'd try is to make sure wherever that broody and chick are is dark. Ni night lights. After it is really dark slip the older chicks in her nest. As you put them under her be gentle so you don't crush a chick. Come back the next morning as it is turning daylight and see how it is going.

Then come back on here and tell us how great it worked.

Good news. I did wait until after dark and gently slipped the incubated chicks in with the broody. The chicks I had were of the same breed so you can't hardly tell the difference in them. When I went out to check on them this morning she was protecting them as if they were her own. I'll be keeping an eye on them throughout the day. Thanks for the help in getting this done. I'll try to post a pic of them later. They now have a new home with a real mama to look out for them.

Good news. I did wait until after dark and gently slipped the incubated chicks in with the broody. The chicks I had were of the same breed so you can't hardly tell the difference in them. When I went out to check on them this morning she was protecting them as if they were her own. I'll be keeping an eye on them throughout the day. Thanks for the help in getting this done. I'll try to post a pic of them later. They now have a new home with a real mama to look out for them.
I love when this works!!!! It's so precious! Well done!

Back
Top Bottom