Will a pellet/BB gun kill a rat?

I dont see why it wouldnt kill rats... Ive killed possum out of my kitchen window with my break barrel... Most only made it a few feet... Today the coon in the traps went down with a pellet just as good as they do with a .22... Id always prefer the 22 but 14 years ago i was a dumbass teenager and got a felony... Now im limited to pellets... Oh well, a country boy can survive as they say
Yup, Well my pellet gun kills rats

A .22 can travel up to a mile-and they can ricochet off the ground, make **** sure it's not going to hit anyone rather than being worried that someone will hear it and you'll get arrested.

A pellet gun will kill a rat easy, if you can hit it :D there was thread not long ago with videos of someone shooting them-alot of them!- with a night scope.

They have top quality pellet guns the guys use at work here on break to take out groundhogs... They are semi auto and powered with a ait container sorta like paintball guns...

Mine which would absolutely be effective for rats n things is single shot... The barrel folds down, pellet goes in, and barrel goes back up... Thats it for pumping

Them you have your combo guns which can pump multiple times and take either a pellet or bb... These will also kill a rat handily if your somewhat close range

Red rider bb gun, give them a sting and they will be back tomorrow

I'd love a recommendation with links if possible.

First of all, shooting rats is little more than cheap entertainment. You will not curb their population that way, poison and/or trapping is the only thing to seriously drop their numbers especially if you have a farm nearby, you are likely dealing with a healthy rat population. Also they can get wise to shooting, I have opened the window and shot one under the bird feeder before and after you do it once or twice the others start to get smart and run when they hear or see the window crank open. I would use a bucket trap, fill bucket just under half full with water and sprinkle feed so it floats on top, the rats will fall in and can't get out eventually drowning. You can cover the bucket with chicken wire to keep chickens out but rats can go through the wire. There are examples of these traps on youtube.

As far as the bb/pellet gun, I would suggest a Crossman 2100 Classsic type pump up model or anything better than that like the stronger break action or pump up Benjamin Sheridan models. You will not want a Daisy Red Ryder type bb gun, they don't shoot very accurately and aren't too strong. Another option to consider since you have a .22 is to look around for some CB caps, they are a short 22 shell they don't have much gunpowder, only a primer and small charge, make no sound other than the click of your firing pin hitting the shell casing. They are around the strength of a good pellet gun and I believe more accurate as they are coming out of your rifled 22 barrel rather than a cheap smoothbore bb/pellet rifle. Get the 22 cb caps or cb shorts, not the cb longs, That would be your cheapest route.

Here is a link to she shells I am talking about, only 710 feet per second: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301376838/cci-ammunition-22-cb-short-29-grain-lead-round-nose

These shells aren't strong enough to cycle a semi auto 22 but can still be fired through them or any other 22lr rimfire by manually loading them into the chamber.

Last edited:
Bucket traps are pretty effective for Rats I use a plastic 55 gallon drum instead of a bucket because I had some huge rats. Then if you want to shoot them anyway it is like shooting rats in a barrel.

If you decide to go w/ the .177 cal pellet route, I'd recommend a break barrel action gun (only have to pull barrel down and snap back into place once to energize it). Look for one w/ velocity in excess of 1000 FPS, which should provide plenty of zip. They make break barrel .22 cal pellet rifles as well.

If you have a .22 cal rifle, the previous poster's recommend for 22CB ammo is great as well. While the velocity is only btwn 700-800 FPS, the mass of the round is considerably more than a .177 pellet. You could probably knock a boar coon down fairly easy w/ that, let alone a silly rat.

BTW, buying a silencer for a .22 rifle is more trouble than its worth. First, if your barrel isn't threaded, then you'd have to get an adapter, pay big $$$, and register it w/ the ATF and pay them big $$$ to do so. Just go w/ a pellet rifle.

We have a break barrel .177 pellet rifle. We hunt rabbit with it. Ours shoots faster than a .22. I use it for pest control also. They make bullets for the. 22 that are completely silent too. All you hear is the hammer fall. My friend has them.

A .22 doesnt sound like a gun anyway... Keep it to one shot and its just one small crack... If your neighbors are really nosey, smack a piece of wood with a hammer a few times after that, they'll assume that must have been the noise they heard

Lmao! They do sound the same almost. I can just picture it. "No I'm not shooting. The guns just there for looks. I'm actually building. See?" *hold up a block of wood and hammer* sad part it the majority of people would buy it

Back
Top Bottom