Will pullets start laying in January?

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
13 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
I have some chicks that will be 18 weeks at the beginning of January. I know that 18 weeks is early based on what I have read but....should I have a nest ready just in case? Or will they wait until the days are longer?

Tonya
smile.png

I'd go ahead and have the nesting boxes ready too...I've had lots of young pullets start laying in the dead of winter......

Doesn't it all depend on the amount of light they get. I've always heard to keep a light in the hen house in the winter.
idunno.gif

Yes they will. I have a batch coming due in January, so I'll put them in the laying shelter in December with lights. That should get the eggs popping out right on time.

As an aside, I visited an egg farm recently up north. It was a 'factory farm'; but a little nicer than all the ones you see the horrible photos of. He incubates a new batch every two weeks for replacement layers. Every two weeks and a new batch of 200-500 birds replaces older pullets. So, every two weeks he has a new set of hens coming into lay. It's the artifical lighting that allows you to do year around eggs. And of course, I think it's a lot more humane with us doing it our in pastures with our little 60W lightbulbs and lots of caring. :eek:

Actually it was HORRIBLE being a Christmas baby. All my siblings would get 2 celebrations a year and I would have one. Alot of times I would get a present that was for both my Christmas and birthday.....
he.gif

Sigh, yes I have issues with it and so when my son was born 10 days BEFORE Christmas I make sure it doesn't happen to him.
big_smile.png

About light...My husband came in the other day and said "You are going to need a light in the coop this winter if you want to get any eggs." Shocked me because that means he has read something somewhere because I have not told him that. I wonder if this means that he doesn't HATE the chickies.
big_smile.png
If that is the case time to get more!!!
lau.gif
JK!

Tonya

Back
Top Bottom