Will sand harm coop-aged chicks?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
I am considering getting 3 more chicks this year. I already have a small flock of 5 chickens, and I have sand in their coop. When I made the transition from straw to sand my chickens were all 3 years old, fully grown and matured. The sand has been going well with no adverse affects to them. But I'm wondering, if I get chicks, how would sand affects the chicks when I put them in the chicken coop? I've read that using sand for chicks isn't recommended because of the dust that the sand may put off, but I think that's for more younger chicks. Even so, I'm concerned that even though my sand doesn't put off a lot of dust (it's construction sand, so it isn't super fine and dusty) that what dust it does put off will still harm a young chick approximately 6 weeks old (old enough to be in the coop). Does anybody have any experience with this?

Don't see why it'd be an issue. Have the chicks had access to grit at all? If not, you may find them eating a bit of sand (which is normal), but it's really only a problem if you see them gorging on it.

Don't see why it'd be an issue. Have the chicks had access to grit at all? If not, you may find them eating a bit of sand (which is normal), but it's really only a problem if you see them gorging on it.
I don't have the chicks yet, this is just something I'm thinking about. I don't think they'll eat it, I'm just concerned about the dust harming their sensitive respiratory system

Curious of type/brand of sand you are using? I’m a newbie. I have a bag of Quickrete tan playsand. Trying to get info on it for Silica content?
I forget what brand it is but I think it is all purpose construction sand-in-a-tube. When making the decision of what sand I should use, I found that play sand is not safe for chickens. Apperently it is really fine and dusty, and the quartz that's in the dust hurts them. So it sounds like playsand either has a lot of silica or a lot of airborne silica. From what I read, I wouldn't use it.

I hope this helps! I think we may still have some of that sand somewhere. I'll try to find out the brand of it.

I forget what brand it is but I think it is all purpose construction sand-in-a-tube. When making the decision of what sand I should use, I found that play sand is not safe for chickens. Apperently it is really fine and dusty, and the quartz that's in the dust hurts them. So it sounds like playsand either has a lot of silica or a lot of airborne silica. From what I read, I wouldn't use it.

I hope this helps! I think we may still have some of that sand somewhere. I'll try to find out the brand of it.

Back
Top Bottom