Will this work for housing pigs Update Pic Added

Quote:
Ever since I got into the chicken thing......my kids all think I've gone off the deep end.

Seriously, they haven't been down here since we moved. Just the grandkids who were impressed......but their little kids.

DH says I've changed so much. But, he's ok with it. Just shocked a bit, I guess.

I was a city woman who had my own business. Dressed everyday to the nines/ make up, etc. Now I put on my jeans, flannel shirts, baseball cap and cr@p shoes. Now that I'm retired I just wanted to try new things. Especially since he fishes and hunts a lot. Gives me a hobby.

Now, I'm feeling a bit stressed. That's not a good thing for a hobbyist, LOL.

Like when I culled and processed all the meaties............HE WAS SHOCKED. I know he thought he would be making a trip to a butcher. But I did it.

Maybe I have gone off the deep end, LOL

are you kiddinhg me!..you processed yourself!..you ARE a tough lady!..you have it under control..dont worry!..

But why only 35-40 lb. at 4 mos

How do you know their weight? Is that scale weight or ?? And are you sure about their age?

ETA I just read your post above and I think you'll be fine, too. From your first post, it really wasn't clear what type of animals you were raising, and there's such a difference there.

And if they really are underweight - so what. Grow them out and do what you were going to. Their bodies will catch up as much as they can, that's all you can do. You will learn alot and hopefully have some fun.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I was having a challenging time bc she was hispanic. But 3 times I said 4 mos???????

They would be 150 @ 4 mos. And she says OHHHHHHH NOOOOOO. They are good size for 4 mos. Is Normal........they ok.

DH carried them w/ legs tied to the pen and said probably 35-40. Tomorrow he will hold one and get on the scale so we'll have a more accurate weight. I will also post pics.

BUT.......they are small.

Geez.........hate to get into vet bills and all just for peace of mind. I am for sure planning on pig wormer though.........just in case. I can get that at the farm store.

the only reason i say vets is because you will be eating the meat....and swine require certain shots..like cows...etc...

Last edited:
BTW...She also had two that were going to butcher. They were big but she said they were 2 YEARS OLD!!! I didn't see food in the pens. Just a few kernels of corn on the muddy ground.

Wonder if she just feeds them strictly table scraps. My neighbor said she travelled extensively in South America and they only feed scraps and corn.

BTW Redhen and Bearded Chick.......Thanks for comforting me tonight. I really DO appreciate it.

Quote:
Does a vet have to give them or can I get them from the farm supply store.

ooh..i bet you could get it at a farm store...good thinking!..i'm an idiot..and always call a vet..*hence..empty pockets!*..i bet they have the shots there!..

i actually want to try a feed hog someday..i am just afraid of getting attached to it....
roll.png
...maybe this spring i will try it...

Back
Top Bottom