Wing clipping on babies????

Lol, yes, they become calm very quickly. It only takes a few moments to clip the flight feathers of one wing. Then you turn them right-side up again, cradling them like an infant for a few seconds to comfort them and let them gather their wits, and place them back on their roost. No harm, no - er, fowl. Sorry, couldn't resist! :lau

Really, if you try it any other way they will flap and could hurt themselves or you. Scissors are sharp. This way, nothing gets in the way of the scissors. The wings hang limply down, no flapping and the bird is passive. Safe for everyone.

Best not to flip chickens upside down. They can aspirate and die. Better to hold them on their side but upright - they calm quickly. I've been able to medic a full grown rooster's feet by myself with this method. He had pulled a pin feather and I needed to stop the bleeding. By putting him on his side, I was able to hold him on my lap and mess with his feet.

Best not to flip chickens upside down. They can aspirate and die. Better to hold them on their side but upright - they calm quickly. I've been able to medic a full grown rooster's feet by myself with this method. He had pulled a pin feather and I needed to stop the bleeding. By putting him on his side, I was able to hold him on my lap and mess with his feet.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was shown how to do this by an old gal decades ago, but I'm here to learn, so... learn I shall! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom