Wing & Foot help!

kstes347

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Grass Valley, CA
We have a golden 300 named Lola and she commonly gets bumble foot which after giving her antibiotics typically heals just fine. A few days ago we noticed that she was limping and after checking her foot did not notice any sores that typically accompany bumble foot. Then yesterday, we noticed her left wing trembling an as if today she won't open it up. The affected foot and wing are both in the left.

She is still eating and drinking and we started her on an electrolyte mix yesterday. We may start also giving her niacin supplements to see if that helps.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with a duck showing these symptoms and if so, what it might be. Thank you so much for any help it advice you may be able to offer!

How old is Lola? Niacin is good for the nervous system, the earlier in the duckling's life the better, since it helps the system develop.

Ducks have been known to have strokes, I hope that's not it. You say she's been on antibiotics, so it may not be an infection, unless there's a resistant strain involved.

Do you have any drakes? Could she be getting too much attention that way? Try separating her, at least overnight, in a warm, safe, clean environment with food and water.

Thank you for your reply, Amiga!

Lola is about a year and a half old, I was thinking that it could also be a stroke, especially since the issues were on the same side of the body. Do you know of any info about that?

We have been keeping her isolated in our coop in a smallish area where food and water isn't too far away. We will give her niacin and see if that helps at all! Thanks again!

I am not familiar with strokes, just know that it can occur (Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks).

I wonder if you might look up foods and vitamins that help after a stroke, and get some ideas there. For example, B vitamins and fish oil are supposed to help stroke survivors. Brain food, food that supports the cardiovascular system, would all be worthwhile.

Of course, there may be things that have risks associated with them, so that's part of the challenge, too.

But she ought to be able to enjoy salad, right? Maybe a little shredded kale? Some berries? Those are both very good for the brain and cardiovascular system. I have some vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic mix that I use sometimes, especially during stressful times.

Also, hydrotherapy - lukewarm baths deep enough to float in, to help her get some gentle exercise and relaxation. It takes the weight off the legs and might help her. You can also get a good look at her while she's in the tub.

Praying for you both.

hugs.gif

Again, many thanks!! I will be making a trip to the store tomorrow to pick up some good treats and supplements for her and i will give her some relaxing bath time as well. Thank you for the prayers, that is very meaningful and touching :)

Update: Lola seems to be putting more weight on the foot and is hobbling around the yard foraging and hanging with the rest of the flock. We started her on Niacin supplements and have been feeding her kale as well. Hopefully she'll recover more and more!

Back
Top Bottom