Wing irritation

EverPeep

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 8, 2013
My one week old duckling has irritated skin at the base and in between its feathers. Is this because it's oil glade is not working yet or what? He keeps pecking at it and when I touch it he flenches and squawks. Is there anything I can do? Please help this is my first duck.bh

My one week old duckling has irritated skin at the base and in between its feathers. Is this because it's oil glade is not working yet or what? He keeps pecking at it and when I touch it he flenches and squawks. Is there anything I can do? Please help this is my first duck.bh
welcome-byc.gif
have you let it play in some warm water yet? if you can that may help to stimulate the gland once he starts to preen, put some warm water just deep enough to cover the legs so they can splash around in to start, always stay right with them, and let them play for 5-10 mins. getting them out and dry and warm before the water turns cold. Hopefully this will stimulate the ducklings to preen and start the oil gland to working. you can also try some warm compresses but I think a nice warm water play time will probably do it.
smile.png
okay went back and read this isn't at the oil gland site? could one of the other ducklings be nipping and pulling duckling fuzz out? still a nice warm bath may make it feel better plus if you can get some triple antibiotic ointment and rub some into the sore area that may help, just be sure it doesn't have pain relief in it ending with caine.

Last edited:
Thank you. The triple antibiotic is working along with gently rubbing the oil gland.

Back
Top Bottom