Wings bleeding help............pics graphic.. Update page 3 again

She is still seperated as the wing that had the barbs showing is not healed. The feathers are starting to grow back but it is still open. I hope to have her rejoin the group soon.
Thanks for asking.

UPDATE.................................................................................................................

Well I tried to have her re-join the group and the same hen that was attacking her before started right in again. I have left her in there on a perch and took out the attacker, we will see how she likes a few days being seperated and see if that changes her any.

I will keep an eye on her to make sure that she comes down for food and water but right now she is nervous.
The blood is gone and mostly healed up, but you can still see the barbs of her wings and some of the feathers are starting to grow back.

Do you think seperating the attacker will help any???

I think separating attacker is good idea. Then if she makes good with all the rest and the attacker is gone for awhile, maybe, just maybe that will work. If it attacks again, then separate again. good luck, keep us posted, thanks!

barnie.gif

Ok well seperating the attacker didn't work. I Have been watching the injured one closely and they have been pecking at her a little here and there ever since I put her back in. I even covered her wings in blu-kote, that was after I tried vaseline and found that they actullay like the taste of vaseline so that didnt work.

I had to remover her again today as she was bleeding from both wings. I am glad I did because as soon as I gave her, her own pen with food and water so dove right in like she hadnt eaten in a while.

I dont know what to do with her because she is actually pecking at herself as well, the only way I know is that her beak was covered in blu-kote and I even waited for it to dry completely before leaving the coop so she went at herself even after the blu-kote was dried on.

Uggggggggg
th.gif

i have an african grey that picks...(man, what a pain it is to stop them)..but for parrots they sell this bitter apple stuff...or another made by kaytee called Better Bitters..and it helps to stop the picking...but..i'm not sure what would work on a chicken..they may like the bitter taste...maybe someone on here will know the answer...good luck..wendy..p.s.,..also..sometimes if you give the birds something "else" to pick it helps..like my grey likes to shread newspaper or un-used coffee filters now..so..again..not sure if it will help with chickens.

Obelisk LOVES to rip up paper...newspaper, papertowels, kleenex, she's right there...

I've used Bitter Apple when she was yanking the feathers out of Slifer Bum and off of Penny wherever she could get. It did work!

oooh good..i'm glad to know those things work on chickens also...hopefully i wont need to use them(crossing fingers, knocking on wood....), but now at least i know i can!..thanks Spotted crow..., Wendy;o)

Back
Top Bottom