Winter is here!!! PIC HEAVY

Turkeyrangler

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
By Lake Superior
It started snowing this morning but didn't start to stick until about noon. We have about 4-5 inches on the ground with more coming until about noon tomorrow. Maybe now I can get some venison in the freezer. It's been a slow year for hunting. By now I generally have at least three hanging in the garage.

Here are some pics of the run and coop I took about 5:30 central time. I had knocked the snow off the run a couple hours ago since it was so heavy and wet. Checked on everyone after I ran the snow blower.

Picture047.jpg
Picture048.jpg

Picture049.jpg
Picture052.jpg

Picture053.jpg
Picture054.jpg

Everyone is nice and cozy. I made the roost for all the birds out of 2x6 so everyone could cover their feet, but most everyone prefers the rafters. The peachick(young male I think) was raised by the EE next to him.
Picture055.jpg
Picture057.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Wow! that's crazy. I grew up in the midwest and saw lots of snow but have lived in the desert of AZ for 6 years now so I haven't seen snow in a while. It looks like your babies are all cozy in the rafters. I was worried about mine at 45 degrees inside. I guess I have nothing to worry about! Stay warm!

Quote:
Have the wood stove going, had well aged venison steaks (taken on this land), tenderized and done chicken fried steak style with mashed Yukon Gold potatoes from the garden with southern white gravy(heavy on the pepper) for dinner...nummy. I do know how to make it even though I'm a Yankee. From scratch BTW. Your birds will be fine. My birds are acclimated. Had to push the turkeys in a 4:00pm to dry off before going to bed. Their backs were completely white with snow. They just had to be out in the snow all day. The chickens on the other hand would have nothing to do with the snow except for Mr. Roo. He was right out there with the big boys in the snow. Everybody got plenty of BOSS, oats and cracked corn before bed to keep them warm for the night. I'm doing the deep litter method and have about 8 inches of pine shavings in the coop with DE. Thanks to everyone here who recommended that; I'd have to say that it is working great and I'll have some great compost in the spring for the garden. Smells like good black earth in the coop; no poop or ammonia smell at all and I haven't changed things in months other than adding pine shavings and turning it once a week with a fork. The turkeys were tracking wet snow in the coop all day and it's still nice and dry due to the DE. When I went in there after dark the coop was noticeably warmer than outside in the run. Even though it's below freezing and has been on and off for the last month the waterer has had no ice in it yet. I'll be putting in the water heater this week and maybe a ceramic heater that will only be used when it gets really cold. It's supposed to get down to the low teens this coming Thursday.

Last edited:
High here: 75. Low 50. Sunny. Now is when I love to live in AZ. I lived through 4 Milwaukee winters... nice folks there but it's a deep freeze.

We have been expecting snow for a few weeks now but it always just misses us at the last second. Next week they are calling for day time highs of -8 degrees C and -19 degrees C. Winter is definantly here

Incredible! When I was a young chick living in OK, one of my chores was collecting eggs and breaking the ice off the water for the chickens. We had a heck of a chicken barn and due to the number of birds inside was very warm once the doors were closed. Back then I didn't mind having to walk through waist deep snow to take care of the critters. Today, I might balk a bit!

Back
Top Bottom