Winter Mites

DKS

Chirping
May 19, 2020
Is it safe to spray birds with a product like Elector PSP in the winter? I worry about getting their feathers and skin wet during the cold.

I love Elector PSP, but when there were a few mites on a bird during this week's nor'easter, I decided to dust butts instead (that Gardstar Poultry Dust has worked well on our mites). There was just no way I was going to get a bird wet in this crazy weather 😯 I could've waited for a warmer day to spray butts with Elector, but reacting fast has been the secret to our victories against mites in the past.

You could still spray Elector on the roosts/problem areas other than the birds. The ol' multi-pronged attack.

Look for permethrin dust at TSC or your feed store. That would be better than spraying in cold weather. Mites should be treated every 7 days a few times to get the newly hatched eggs. The coop bedding should be removed, and the coop, nest boxes, and roosts should be treated as well. Permethrin 10 concentrate can be mixed with water and used to spray coops.

Back
Top Bottom