Winter molting!!?!!!

Vickers58

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Dallas, tx
Our runner duck started to molt this weekend it's her first molt since we rescued her. It's also the first ice storm we've had in like 3 years ( Texas)... Should I be concerned? Her coop is winterized and we even set up a space heater. But now I'm worried it may be too cold... The highs are in the 30s...

That is late but it happens, my standard chickens are still in molt, i don't heat them though, well vented, dry housing, good food. They get the option of in/out.

I am cold, i've been 18F recently, how is she acting? watch heaters, i know it's a knee jerk reaction but there dangerous and gets animals accustomed to unrealistic temps, is she alone?

It's been about 18f here for the last few days and the heater is being closely monitored and isn't generating crazy temps. She has one other duck to snuggle up with. I think they are fine I just wanted to double check. she has had wet feather since we got her in May an we really want to make sure she is comfortable and doesn't lose too much heat with the molt :(

@vickers58

I'd toss her some car kibble. I had a duck that was just stuck in a molt, all summer long. 3 days of cat kibble and she finished up.

For sure, i read about your wet feather to late to say that lol
thumbsup.gif
BOSS is good too, if she'll eat it, i get mixed opinions here on them.

I'n a new chicken owner, I have 6 chicks who are actually still in the brooder, but if they molt during the winter months should I provide heat for them in the coop? I live in Ohio and winter temps can be very low. I worry they'll be cold without their feathers.

Back
Top Bottom