Winter prep.. pool

NavajoGypsy

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2017
Ocean Gate, New Jersey
I have a little sandbox as my ducks pool. With winter coming, I'm curious what I should do for winter. Do take it out or is there a way to keep it from freezing. I live in New Jersey on the shore. We have pretty cold winters but nothing colder then 30F unless it's a freak storm.

Our ducks have their pool yr round, but we live in NW Mississippi too....tho, I don't put water in it if temps are 30° or colder...the ducks can handle it just fine, but I don't prefer my hands in water at that temp or less, so it os for my convience rather than theirs....:)

I am not sure about a way to keep it from freezing, but you could just go out there and keep lifting off the ice so the ducks can get to it. I keep pools out for my ducks until it freezes through fast enough to make it a pain to refill.

We usually only freeze at night so I carry a bucket full of hot tap water to the pool in the morning to get the thaw going. My feed store sells deicing devices for horse and cattle troughs which would also work but I am cheap. I did buy a heated dog water bowl last winter. It worked well and guaranteed my ducks always had access to some liquid water.

Back
Top Bottom