winter shelter

pickles you are a hoot
lau.gif

Quote:
Oh we call them tie-ties. They work great. I actually used them to hold the top of the run on the fence. The only problem is you have to reinforce after severe weather but hey, they're cheap! You can get a big bunch of them at Wal-Mart of like 5 bucks! It lasts me 2 years! Not bad! Good luck.

The other thing y0u could use is those stretch cables? I use them on top of the latches of the run...extra protection against banging from wind and birds.

I love the way you write...keep it up lady!

Peace-

Pedro

thanks for the greetings from all and the info.

it snowed in the city where my family (disabled) is today so i went and dug dug dug a pathway. thankful it just snows here and melts.

i am home tonight and tired. so glad everything that needed to be done here for winter *well except for forty million things* is already done. i just couldn't dig any furry friend out of anything tonight. can you see me, mean exhausted face glimmering in the moonlight, well, chicky you just ain't cute enough right now. i'm going inside where it's warm. give the grinch a run for his money. but everyone was fine here and no problems so grateful to god for that.

the point of this post was going to be this:

i have slept in the boy goat house to make sure it was weatherproof during the first snow. it was really surprisingly warm, even made by, well, me. just slept for an hour that first night. lol. midnight mania, i guess. but it made me feel better that everything was safe and not drippy from rain or snow melt.

well, the point of the post was going to be that.........but the dog and goat were just at my door right now. yes. truly. right as i was beginging to type their praises.

i think billygoat has forgotten exactly how highly goat meat is thought after in new mexico. more than one neighbor has made a tasty in the belly comment about him. apparently he is more than just handsome looking, but yummy, too. and the dog, well, not sure i would eat fried dog. but then........ no, too much fuzz. maybe if he was a short hair.

so, this proves that even if you have good fencing and change locks and do whatever that even a mutt from the street can learn again to pick the lock. so, uh, the old saying is false. you can teach an old dog new tricks.

new locks tomorrow. and new dog.

i just checked. it's fourteen here. eek. cold. no snow. no real wind either. just chilly chilly chilly.

tomorrow if i can stand the cold and that is an IF, i will nail up a few more boards on chicken shed. they seem happy enough when they want in there they go. but there is one board on the meadow side (coldest or next to coldest side) that just keeps falling off by one nail. no matter what i do. if i could find a tarp around here, extra, i could just cover that end with tarp... i bet the goats are leaning on it or pawing it or something. no chicken could knock down a board like that.

in magic land, i will work more on the barn tomorrow. but not even i believe that.

came home from work in other city just now and it is blizzardy here. just going up on my mesa, weather totally different. bigest snow of the season so far.

do you think tarp was still on shelter.

well.

no.

why on the day of the biggest snow of the year would the ifd (idiot blanking dog) and billygoat choose this day while i'm gone for like seven hours to um, deconstruct, their tarp.

there was snow all in their shelter where the roof didn't cover.

cough cough.

so, i fed the animals.

tehn came inside and got tea.

then went outside and reput up tarp. am not even sure how they got it down. my guess is ifd was playing on roof or something.

with snow on me. and cold. and angry. and headache.

but i did it.

and, all animals, including me, are still alive.

teh fields are all covered with snow. really beautfiul actaully. from inside.

and, being the high desert, all the cactus and tumbleweeds are covered with snow too which if you've never seen before is quite the brain tangle first time you see it. a really amazing climate, actually.

What a bugger!! Hang in there girl!

((((Pickles))))
hugs.gif
Hope you are not coming down with the flu....plenty of fluids and a couple ibuprofen never did any one any harm......stay warm.

You have probably mentioned this before,but where are you at again?

thank you. i needed that hug. i was supposed to be out again tonight for work and family and i just had to say no. cant' do it.

drinking tea. will take some aspirin. good diea.

and nap. prolly asleep at seven.

i'm in new mexico. so high desert. meaning moutains (beautiful skies and cold witnters) but desert meaning cactus and really hot summer and surprisngly sunny winters.

I hope the "ifd"
big_smile.png
and goat give you a little break before you get really sick and/or tired. I love your stories and always look forward to the next installment. Stay warm.

cool.png

hi guys

back from vacation an hour ago. well, ifd learned a new trick BUT it was not destructive in any way. maybe she is passing out of the puppy phase. when i drove up after being gone for a few days for the holidays, she has learned to stand on top of the goat house and also to stand on the top rung of the wooden fence where she can look over and see whose driving up. lol. she can stand on a piece of wood two inches wide and a good six feet in the air. lol.

i thought one day she would learn how.

but, she stays inside the fence until you let her out and so far at least does not use the new trick to run away.

so, her having learned that trick while i was gone (because i was gone?) was the primo time i'd figure for her to have run but she was still there. the neighbor who was feeding the animals said she walked along the top of the fence while he was there. lol.

if you ever see an ad for the amazing acrobatic dog who performs feats of balance and daring, you will know i've finally made her work to earn her keep.

everyone else was alive and well when i got home. yeah!

i could tell the guy who watched them for me did good as they were calm when i got back. happy to see me, but not frenzied in that haven't been fed or talked to in three days way. so that was nice and made me feel good about trusting him with my babies. well my babies who sometimes also taste yummy.

Back
Top Bottom