Winter time chickens crowns pale

dennroe

Hatching
Oct 11, 2016
Hello Group... this is my first winter with my 4 hens, 3 of them started molting in November just when it started getting cold.. 1 did not molt at all. the 3 that molted (feathers back in) their crowns are very pale, the one that did not molt her crown is still a nice red and not withery looking. Guess my quesions is, is the pale crowns related to the molting coupled with thr cold weather upon us or is there sometyhing else to be concerned about? Their coop is not huge, not drafty, and I have alot of straw in there to help with insulation. they do come out to the run which has wind blocking walls up in the area they hang out the most... they love hanging out under the coop so I have that filled with straw too. Their diet consist of mash, meal worm, scratch, and scraps... some treats bought at the local Tractor supply store... presently I have a head of cabbage staked out there for them to peck at and entertain themselves with. I feel guilty as sin that they are out in this cold... attempted a heat lamp (1 night only) then I got worried a fire would start, disrupt their sleep pattern and force them to produce eggs when I think their body needs to have a brake. My husband thinks I am obessed with the chickies :0) (just a little) Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think you should be worried, my hens combs pale some when they are molting.

Back
Top Bottom