Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    yes they are, even at a younger age you can make a really good guess as to who is who. In our younger group I think we are 50-50 on cockeral and pullets.

2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Morning all!

Not much to report. Spent the morning washing waterers out and feeding the Girls, the Wee Ones, the dogs, the rabbits, and the cats.
    I'm already tired! I did a bad bad bad thing....I have the Kindle for PC app in my computer and decided that it was time to see what all this fuss about the Hunger Games is all about. [​IMG] Should have left well enough alone....I finally peeled myself away from the screen at 12 am. While that may not seen late to some here on this thread...It's about 2-3 hours past my bed time!!! I had to make myself but the book down....*sigh*

Cind-I was going to mention an egg separator but I see Jim already did. I have one but I have never used it successfully. To many moving part I suppose![​IMG] You also don't "have to" separate the yolks and whites to make the powder. It's easier if you do but I can't see that it really makes a huge difference in the end product.
    I thought making powdered eggs was a good idea since I get more eggs then I can eat and hate for all that hard work to go to waste. Even though I can get fresh eggs, I though that they are a god thing to have on hand in case I ever run out of eggs when the Girls stop laying during the winter. Then I don't have to buy store eggs. I still have Hen Fruit from my Girls.
    Plus in an emergency situation you never know what might come in handy. [​IMG]

Daivd-have fun at the seminar!

Well, I just heard crash and bang upstairs.....the cats are after something.....hope they killed it if it was a critter.....I have my doubts though.....lazy worthless things.....

3. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI

As far as the eggs are concerned, it is hard to tell just what went wrong. I just check the 2 eggs that didn't hatch and the chicks looked to be fully formed but hadn't finished taken everything on the bottom inside yet so I am guessing that something in the process wasn't right and there fore they didn't make it, neither had pipped internally. Most of the time I don't open up the quiters.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    that is not unusual for the yolk to not be absorbed at that stage of the process.. after they have pipped and zipped, is when they usually absorb the rest of the yolk,, that is why you should never "help" them out of the shell..

5. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI

the ones I had quit had guts still hanging out along with the rest of the yolk. know exactly what you mean aboout absorbing the yolk after they hatch- we get those who have some trailing them once they bust out of the egg!

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning. I feel crabby today. Even the dogs are ticking me off! I bought some little crickets for DD26s gecko yesterday at the pet store. He ate a few and i gave the rest to Eli and the twins this morning...took about 20 seconds for them to eat them all. The twins are getting their birchen coloring--quite nice looking. Eli is turning into a black ans white checkerboard roo. He is very odd looking for sure.

No, I dont want to return to the 70s--I was in high school then...

I took some pictures yesterday that I usually dont get to take until the beginning of May (sometimes later) I am going to call that scrap book page "2012 early spring" Pretty original huh?
    Here are a few of them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hate that I dont have my photo editing program on this computer! I cant change stuff at all. Even when I made the picture of the grape hyacinths right side up it turned it back! [​IMG] I am not even going to try to get a pic of Eli...although he does look adorable right now with his head tucked under his wing!

I went to the store yesterday and saw that an egg farm that sells "free range eggs" is now selling at Sentry. I have been to the farm. They are in BIG cages. One group can go outside...that must be the ones that the free range eggs come from...[​IMG] No one was there when I dropped in...there were eggs all over the floor and some dead birds in the cages too...I wonder how they got the OK from the state to sell eggs? Ya think our fine state just wants the $$$ for the fees? I had to laugh. THey had some factory brown eggs too...$3.89/doz then the ones from the farm I was at for $2.79/doz.
    HMMMM---better get that sign made....have a fantastic day!
    Now I need to work....Terri O

7. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    I covered my salad garden last night. It got pretty cold. Does anyone know if it's possible to still plant garlic? I know its supposed to be a fall plant, but I couldn't find any then and just picked some up a couple of days ago. I stuck it in the freezer for the moment.

8. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Not sure, maybe one of the gardeners will know ;) I see that my chives and strawberry plants are coming up- hopefully they will be okay.

9. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Morning everyone,
    Well I opened my quitters and know why 1 dd not make it he/she couldn't have pipped that shell open in a million years with that deformed beak it was like a 90 degree angle from the other I took some pictures of them to post and see if I camn get some answers from the experts here on the hatching thread, I'll add a link after I post it, so if anyone wants to comment there they can, the other 2 are like H&R's fully developed chick, egg sack not even close to absorbed, what could have happened? I'm not sure what an internal pip is? and it's too late to check now but next time, I would like to know that term? So a sad morning here, makes me very upset that at the 2 completely normal looking chicks didn't make it.
    Later everyone I'm going to bury them now. Kim

Heres the link to the other thread........
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-what-happened-pictures-included#post_8685920

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Good job on saving the chick, Ghost.

I've seen that incubator before but cannot remember the name. Grrrrrr, that drives me nuts! I hope you sell some of your roos, Cind! [​IMG] Too funny story about Sparkles.

Dave, I think MLHs DH is the one speaking at the seminar.

DrH, you made me laugh with the Cadbury one. [​IMG] All my teenie boppers are going to get kicked out with the adults full time starting this weekend. They have been running around with the ladies all day long for about a week now, so I'm hoping there won't be too much squabbling at roost time. The lavs are getting entirely too big for the inside brooder.
    What kind of tools you looking to sell, Doc? DH might be interested if ET isn't.

[​IMG] and to the Cheesehead thread, chickenscratch! I hope you like it here and visit often. I too would love for the temps to stay in the 70s. [​IMG]

Ooohhhhh, pretty pics, Terri! What is the first one? Your violets are blooming already? Mine haven't yet. [​IMG]

Well, better get back to laundry & cleaning. [​IMG] I hope you all enjoy your day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by