1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Good Morning Everybody! Big WELCOME to the new people! Good soaker last night wish I would have put some seeds in but decided that I'd better wait until the fence was up. I remembered that Bad Naughty chickens dig them up faster than I can plant them. So FT does ET work in a machine shop? CC did inventory this morning will pm in a bit. MXM hope the DD is feeling better soon so she can have B'day cake! Hope your coming around too Bl4! Tomski I see you lurking. [​IMG] Got a lot of things done yesterday! Made a plate to double stack canning jars in the pressure cooker out of a blank aluminum road sign that I had. Good stuff! Can can 14 jars now [​IMG] Saved $15 for a store bought one. Kicked the not so lil ones out of their apartment and cleaned that, couldn't even do a head count at bedtime they were just a ball. Didn't help that Peatwo decided to do the 2 second drill with an slw right then. Got the wood shed cleaned and am thinking as soon as the rain dries out of the wood out back gonna haul that in. Then I can see how much I don't have. [​IMG] Put the blades back on the deck and put the deck back on the mower. Just hoping it lasts till I can come up with the cash for the new one. [​IMG] Had a tube put in the leaky tire and back on the splitter. Just let the kids out everyone survived [​IMG] Gonna get rid of the aluminum cans this morning and hope to get back in the bedroom to finish mudding it then on another rainy day will sand it. Jims wet sanding sounds better and better. Put the hook on the Fiord and attemped to dig up the roots on a clump maple stump only thing that I accomplished was tearing up the yard. Needs a few years to rot I guess. Did so much I can't even remember. Hope I bored the crap out of everyone! We're even! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    What kind of pressure cooker do you have? With mine I can just stand the pint jars on top of each other and don't need anything in between.

3. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Hi,

Terri K here again, but I go by AMBERFLEA.... less chance of the Terri's getting mixed up.

For you who had the question about my bator... it's a Brower TH120 made in Houghton, Iowa. I bought it at fleet farm last summer when my styrofoam bator quit in the middle of cooking... I think we pad around $150.00 for it.. works pretty good, hold alot of eggs [​IMG]

So far my border fence has been working out TerriO... I'm hoping to get my flowers and hostas back this year, last year the guineas thought it great fun to eat every leaf that unfolded...[​IMG] till everything was pretty much shredded...

Raining very hard here, chickens and ginz are tucked tight in their coops, not letting them out either, hubby text'd me on way to work saw a fox in our ditch line at 5 this morning... ugh... I hate dealing with them... waiting for the chickens to start disappearing.... like a couple years ago... we get one every 2 years or so... sly devils... but have managed to 'get them'. sooner or later.[​IMG]

Headed up north to get the pontoon to the cottage... am anxious to see what has sprouted in the yard, (besides snow which I hear was going to happen up there today, of all the weekend to go... but... suppose to be 70 [​IMG]Sunday.

Pix of border fence and bator again for those of you who were wondering what it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Is that your coop?! Ugh... Too cute! I'm trying to make mine cute. I'm trying make it whimsical. I'm also trying to be as frugal as possible. Then it would be even MORE impressive. I wish I had that cute little coop :D

5. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    EL it's a Presto from Sears. Ugly 70's color saw one on Ebay for $99. Didn't think you could stack the jars and the manual shows a plate separating the stacks so I made one. [​IMG] It's a 12 quart but you can get 14 in it. One of my ex's bought it for me at her church rummage sale for $2 it had the wrong pressure regulator it was 15lb only and it never jiggled, called Presto and got the right one at Ace. 5-10-15lb. We get along pretty well considering, 2 years ago I asked to borrow her Foley food mill and she gave it to me. [​IMG] I give her overflow from the garden and what she doesn't eat she to takes to hand out at her church. Along that line the couple I took the eggs to and received the veni sausage from told me they would take all the extra pickling cuc's I had, they loved them. Told them that I was down to 1 jar of dills but I should have some for them if I can't keep up making pickles. This year going to try not giving away so many jars of them. [​IMG] Just watched 2 of the youngins chase a robin from the yard. Nasty Robins! Eatin all the worms! [​IMG] af that is waay too cute of a coop and surroundings! Things are more utilitarian round here. Gotta go!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning---I am better today, not so crabby! Just wuick cause I have to get to work...Amflea...I just want to walk down that path behind your coop! that is so neat. I tried a path in my little woods, but it is a REALLY little woods. Too many sticks from the trees to keep up with it...someday. I see how that edging can work for you so close to the building. I have the same stuff but mine is in the yard. I was thinking you meant the little edging like you pound in. Smart guineas to stay OUT!
    OK I gotta go...my creamy pecan pies turned out great--the people are gonna love 'em! Later-Terri O

7. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    Ok, $2 is a great price! This is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/Presto-23-Qua...YCFU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1333116018&sr=8-4 In fact, I even ordered it from Amazon. [​IMG] You had a banner pickle year too huh? We canned 24 quarts of pickles last summer. Honestly if the world fell apart we'd live off pickles I guess. [​IMG] We've used MAYBE 5 jars so far. I had never grown pickling cucumbers before, but they grew quite plentifully. We took bushel baskets of them, squash, zucchini, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes and corn to church each week to give away.

The biggest users of the stuff we canned have been the rotel, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and minced peppers. Surprisingly we've barely touched the corn and green beans this winter. The things I thought we'd want most.

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Soggy morning...EarthyLady the link didn't work, took me to some youtube WWF page. [​IMG] Pretty sure that's not the right one, hee heee.

Jim, I have heard you speak of stacking eggs in your bators. Do you have auto turners? How do you make that work, don't the eggs spill all over the place? I am getting too many Jaer eggs that are pullet-sized, but every other day I get a nice big egg from the older girl; 3 weeks is too long to hold those eggs before the bator has some space. Listen to me, spoken like a true addict.

9. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    YUP, that is my coop, renovated from an old milkhouse we had moved to our place 25 years ago, that was just filled with junk... then guinea madness happened, and then chicken addiction happened... my parents had an old guard house from the foundry at their place my brother had gotten 10+ years ago, just sittin there so we also moved that to our place and renovated the whole thing (that is the green one, i have a before picture somewhere, but not on me today [​IMG]
    I am pretty proud of my coops, and lucky to have a handy husband that doesn't mind working his butt off for my addictions...[​IMG]

Just got an email from a couple that bought 7 of my guinea keets last year, they want to return them, as they are bullying their chickens... so as of Sunday night I will have 20 guineas...

Pix of my coops...before and after for the yellow one, and just as after of the chicken coop (the green one.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Amy, I do have auto turners..My incubators are the cabinet style GQF sportsmans.. I have rigid plastic egg holders that fit on the shelves .. and then the whole shelf rocks left to right..

I figured out a way that I can stack the holders with a little modification to the top holder.. with average sized chicken eggs, I can raise the capacity from 288 eggs to 576 eggs..

this comes in really handy when the guineas start laying .. I usually hatch about 300 of them each year..

I have two of these incubators that I can stack trays in.. the third one can handle only single layers of trays.. I use it mostly as a hatcher..

In the past, when I was using styrofoam bators with turners, I occasionally laid a few extra eggs on top of the ones in the turner.. they hatched OK, too..

.............jiminwisc..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by