Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Went out to put the chickens away and one of my new australops was not roosting. I kind of thought it was wierd she was not around earlier. I wonder if something got her or if she decided to roost somewhere else. Does this happen to any of you?

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Cool Carol! How are those 2 Jaers from me doing? My other boy from the same hatch is looking really nice, good coloring and type. Thanks for the offer of eggs, but I'll be rolling in them shortly I think. [​IMG]

Geez Ken, why'd they bust your chops like that? Rather ungrateful. Maybe everything has to be in writing in the future, if they even get another chance.

Had to laugh at the You Name It I Got It sign. Some people here resemble that. [​IMG]

3. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi

Thank you! I actually had that birth and the 2nd one in Ohio. Just my 3rd this past September was here in Wisconsin. I was disappointed the first wasn't a waterbirth, but the pool just wasn't deep enough. My two waterbirths I used the Birth Pool In a Box and LOVED it! it was about 4 inches deeper and worth every penny over that silly kiddie pool. some things ya get what ya pay for! :)

4. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    I've never seen a chicken like this one but he sure is beautiful! I love the coloring!

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Dooner,, yup..

terriO. 300 (three hundred) guineas each year.. IDK about this year, though.. they did not sell too great last year.. Nothing sold good last year.. except chickens..

I like the size and shape of the Delaware hens.. sort of like little butterball turkeys.. I like hens for butchering for roasting birds ..

last year we cut the roosters up and made individual packages of drumsticks, thieghs,, backs, and breasts.. oh, and necks..

my first eggs are due to hatch on the 6th of April.. then the 8th and then the 12th.. there are 55 Del and BarRocks due by the end of the 12th.. I sure hope the roosters were doing their job.. I still haven't seen them doing it..

Nora is getting a little paunchy.. I hope it is just not from all the treats Ken feeds her..

6. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I ain't got nothing other than "Sweet dreams, all"! [​IMG]

Ken & Dooner, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Jim--I have not seen my Australorpe doing the 2 sec drill either....I will know by the end of the weekend if any of those eggs are good. Has Nora had pups before? Her nipples were more swollen than a dog that hasnt...I would think she was bred by the size of them if it was her first litter.

Went to the meeting tonight of the Sustainable Jefferson group. Kind of a disappointment. I did hear an interesting story about a car accident that happened here a few years back from the Mother of the victim that is convinced that it was a murder covered up....The potato guy was not great...he informed me that they have a total of about 50 pounds of seed potaoes for sale tomorrow...I think I will plan on getting there BEFORE the whole thing starts!
    Well, gonna go and lock up and do some more reading around here...sweet dreams all...I hope you and your DH have the bed to yourselves tonight MLH! I am glad our dogs sleep in their kennels at night...no midnight visitors! LOL! Terri O

8. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Ken, all I have to say is Karma is a B!tch! WOW.

I hope you tell them exactly what to do if they ever ask for anything again.

How rude.

9. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    According to Kristi, one of my other eggs is pipping, Blue cuckoo maran, crossed with a Jaerhon, the ones that were naturally hatched last year
    were GORGEOUS!!, 1 jaerhon/blue cuckoo maran, and 2 EE/Blue cuckoo cross, and Kristi's Solo that she has..

Amyable, they are doing great, Sven is a great roo and Houdini is a wonderful young hen

10. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    So I bought an incubator......Now I'm nervous!!!! I feel like I have the lives of the little peeps in my hands!!!! But will give it a whirl...Will set up tomorrow was hoping to set on Sunday.....I am getting conflicting info....Run for 24 hours or 48 hours..before adding eggs......I understand that will depend on getting temp stable......also do bantam eggs hatch sooner than 21 days? Want to try to set them so they will hatch over a weekend so we are home....Will probably ask a million questions....glad you are all out there...
    Jodie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by