1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

Have to laugh. Just as I started to read your post my Blue & Gold Started Yelling and Swearing GDI !!!! I think he wishes he was in Aruba where it's warm !! [​IMG] Nice pictures btw.

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I didn't get pictures but i got to feed a tucan grapes and papaya. I was inside his cage with him petting him. I LOVE tucans. They are my favorite bird. That will be the one part of the trip I will never forget. The blue and gold my husband is holding really liked him.

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Good evening! Picked up MORE hay today...again. And feed from the mill too. FT--if your goats are wasting hay it is probably not the kind of hay that they want to eat. When I fed mostly grassy hay (cause that's what I could get) it was of poor quality and they picked through it all the time and peed on the stuff they didnt want. By the time spring rolled around I would literally have a bedding pack 3' deep in the barn where I fed them! Now that I am feeding a very good quality 100% alfalfa hay I do not have a single stick left when they are done eating! It really burned my butt to buy hay only to have them spread it around. I was also feeding about 4x the amount when I fed the crappy stuff.
    I milked my goats for several years...The milk was very good if it was cooled quickly and used within a day or two when raw. It develops caproic acid and that gives it a not so nice taste. You can destroy that acid by pasteurizing the milk. I stopped milking because my kids did not like the milk after they had it a few times after it was old. They used to make me so mad cause they could tip the glass in such a way and tell every time just by how it coated the glass!

I have two new chicks in the TV tonight! There is another black on hatched in the bator and a yellow one that is almost out. I think there are more pips too...it is hard to see because of the humidity in there! The black on that is in the tv hatched out of an egg I marked with "SL" These markings make so much sense when I think of them...I cannot for the life of me remember what it stands for! The only thing I can think of is "silver laced" and I only have one hen that fits that description! So yet another mystery chick! I keep trying to think what it might be.....here they are:
    [​IMG]

More to come tomorrow!
    Oh yeah...remember that broody Roadrunner? She hatched one of her babies today too! She is still on the nest so maybe there will be more tomorrow. The white hen was to hatch on Thursday and I tossed most of her eggs...no development! I think I got them from the showbird pen...not real pleased...I gave her 4 more eggs that had been under a duck...I missed them when collecting and I didnt want to chance it if they were there for 4 days! (ICK)

Sorry about the dog attack and the drowning! Chickens are definitely dumb when it comes to water! There have been many in my water tanks...now I have a strip of hardware cloth bent over the edge of the deep tanks that goes down into the water. The birds seem to be able to get to the wire and climb out before they are exhausted from trying to stay afloat. Maybe you wouldnt want that in your hot tub though...

Well I am heading out to lock up...I am plain tuckered out. If that dam^ dog decides to bark all night again I am going to strangle her I swear! [​IMG]

Good night and sweet dreams too! Terri O

4. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Will write More tomorrow. Been working on the big coop. Didn't get the khaki Campbell's today. Need the coop done. Tired of all these chickens in my house. I also didn't get pics again... Sorry FT!

Looks like I got 10 pullets and 13 roos from Bev. I will be getting rid of almost all the Roos, and a few pullets. But it will be breeding pairs I sell off, ( or the special double roo, single pullet package for Carol/WCC).. Night all zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    The Bator is set and ready to go!

So sorry about the losses too!
    My son came over with his dog/pup today and her and Rudy were having a great time outside playing. Most of the chickens headed to the coop while they were out but Matilda didn't make it in time. My son saw the dogs go for her and called them off. Matilda hid and it took a bit to find her... poor thing was so scared. She's missing some wing feathers but I think she'll be OK.

Hope the rest of the hatches go well!

Night All!

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Cool pics BBP! Looks like you had a fantastic time.

FT, yes these are my first ducks. I do have 5 runner eggs in the bator, they came with some brahma eggs. I'm not real keen on runners, but thanks for the offer. I got my fingers crossed for all the WH eggs in there.

Sandhill Preservation has a sweet corn called Yukon Supreme, ready in 53 days. I don't think you can beat that timeframe.

Very very sorry for the losses Dooner and <3CF. [​IMG]

7. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

You will like the amount of eggs they lay though. Good to sell. People with allergic to chicken eggs can eat them.

8. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    kristi said there 7 chicks out now

9. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    Cool on the chicks! Hey, do the ones that hatched yesterday count? Tue. everyone who hatched should give a tally and we should see how many fuzzy butts we have all together!

I set 41 eggs (that's what my turner holds) at 1:30 am. Plus Storkey is setting on I think 10 that are due on the 11th. I guess I'll have a few to sell [​IMG] I should get some green and blue egg layers out of the lot! The only roosters were the EEs except for the 4 eggs I got when I put all the blacks together. Looks like Speckles isn't laying yet, no eggs with blue streaks. [​IMG] This is my first incubator hatch so I get to be a "Nervous Nelly" like DrH and you others....'cept Jim! He's such an old pro I doubt he gets nervous anymore... at least he wouldn't show it [​IMG]

Good Luck to all! Night.

What do you call an incubator full of eggs?

Flock in a box!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. otonoh

otonoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    good morning all,

Well after reading about introducing chicks, measuring the floor space in my coop, Considering the time it takes to introduce the chicks to the hens, My work schedule, (leaving for work at 5:30) I decided not to get any more chicks. Things are all wonderful right now with the ladies,, We had great egg production over the winter, more than we can eat, so we have been giving them away, I've decided to wait until either later this summer, when I am off, or next year. I envy those with huge amount of space, but since I live in a rural subdivision where chickens aren't exactly legal, I think it is better I don't expand the coop until I can get the ordinance changed. 7 are enough for now. Sometimes you gotta say no, even to yourself.

David.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by