Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

So sorry for your chickie loss...never easy!

So I have two broodies... And I dont have time for them to hatch anything now so going to do my best to break them of brood. I have a wire bottom cage but the bad part is it is in my garage and attached to the wall so hard to clean out and with stinky broody poops..not looking forward to that. But what do you do.
Kristi, why don't you just leave them to be broody? They will quit on their own eventually. Less hassle for you, busy mom lady. :)

Ah Celtic...these broodies drive me bonkers... I had one that was broody for months last year drive me nuts. Of the two currently one has been doing the puff and cluck in the nest box for three weeks now(same one that did for months last year). Feeling bad for her. The other one has been there three weeks but no puff and cluck so not as serious as the other. Might just find some chicks to shove under the first one...really didnt want babies right now but she is so persistent it drives me nuts...
Hope you are good!!!

CHickendreams~
Thank you so much for the help in identifying breeds this is the first time I kind of just winged it and got a surprise. I LOVE every second of it, but I was told I cannot keep them all so i am trying to figure out the breeds now so I can make my decisions. I definitely have to look up french marans I havent seen those before o.o! I don't think any of them have 5 toes, then again chasing them around its not always easy to count toes :D. Our farm and fleet does not have chicks. Its probably a good thing. I;d be in chicken debt.
I did post in the chicken breed roo/pullet thread I took new pictures at the week old mark while i checked for pasty butt and cleaned the brooder. I deleted the blurry ones and the ones that I know for sure are "duplicates"/ same breed. I figure thats a LOT of pictures to ask people to go through.
I would LOVE some EE's but at this point I think my family would disown me if I brought anymore home. I am pushing for some cayugas cause well. I've wanted them since I saw them the first time. Maybe next year. A girl can hope.

I hope you have some resolution with your predator problem. I am still very sorry for your loss. I just lost my favorite hen, I used to stand in the coop right by her roost and pet her while she coo'd at me. Found her this morning about 150 + feet from the coop behind oen of our buildings stomach ripped out and eaten. Her head and neck were all still attached. I am reinforcing the coop with what I have until I can get to the store and buy more material. I have a feeling I know how it got in. ~shakes head~ I had a feeling something was going to happen after reading about your attacks I should of taken it more seriously :(. So I went and got the ducks and sat and watched them swim to lighten my mood a bit.

Jim~...umm where on earth are your seeds coming from??? It sounds like they have been on quite a journey.
I will have to check on the ducks little feetsies when I go out there.
OMG do the grow fast though! I mean they are twice the size of the chicks already. I cant believe it I went out this morning and swear they grew overnight.

GranolaGirl72
Our garden is sprouting to, so are the weeds. I dunno what it is that is growing in there but wow raking everyday I am barely keepign up with it. I guess at least it is good exercise?

Cordless~ Chicks are CUTE, but dont ask me for help identifying them ~shakeshead~

Im sure I missed some posts here, Unfortunately my computer auto updated to windows 10 while I slept and I am having a heck of a time with it. I hate it and am having a lot of problems and error messages with devices failing -.-. so until I get it fixed I will be on intermittently. Although I have no idea how I am going to fix it. But I hope you are all enjoying the warmer weather!

I just checked the garden, still too wet..

I got the seeder all adjusted and lubed. fixed up a couple of hand cultivators, too.. the spikey ones on a stick.

I am up to 105 eggs in the bator as of right now.
added 31 more guineas for JimP.

JimP said I could go to his other farm and help myself to as much straw as I wanted.. I figure a couple good sized pickup loads should do it..

the little pullet chicks are going to be introduced to ground corn and oats today.

I hope they take to it like the meaties did last year.

..........jiminwisc.........

Made some headway in the garden today - still have quite a few more rows to go.

One of my older hens (the sweetest one) is being picked on by the rooster and all but the other older hens. I feel so bad for her. She flies madly out of the coop in the mornings and takes off running. Most days she makes it past the rooster but when she doesn't he rushes at her and gives her a beating. The younger hens quickly join in on the bashing. She doesn't go into the coop to roost until it's pretty late and all the rest have been roosting for awhile. If she goes in too early the rooster flies off the roost and chases her out. Half the time she spends the night outside the coop. She must have a good hiding place somewhere. When I have to close the coop early I've put her inside the garden fence where I think she'll be safer with a nice covered wood pile to hide inside. I'd really like to re-home her along with a couple of the more friendly ladies if anyone is interested!

Ah Celtic...these broodies drive me bonkers... I had one that was broody for months last year drive me nuts. Of the two currently one has been doing the puff and cluck in the nest box for three weeks now(same one that did for months last year). Feeling bad for her. The other one has been there three weeks but no puff and cluck so not as serious as the other. Might just find some chicks to shove under the first one...really didnt want babies right now but she is so persistent it drives me nuts...
Hope you are good!!!
Ah, I understand. A hardcore broody. Lol! Does she at least get off the nest to eat & drink? If so, and her color is ok, I would still just leave her to do her thing since you are so busy right now. I have a persistent one at the moment too but since she is taking care of herself, I just leave her.

I am good, thank you. Crazy busy though! Tis the season I guess. Happy belated birthday! Sorry I missed it on Fb. I haven't been on there for a looooong time.

One Silkie went broodie and vicious then as soon as she broke after a month or so her 4 "sisters" went broodie and are group sitting on speckled Sussex bantam eggs that all appear fertile.
The broodie Silkies are nasty. Last few days a Cream Legbar has been broodie but she will let me take eggs with a gentle peck if anything.
The Silkies turn into monsters ready to tear an arm off.

Just finished mowing the yard. It was a bit wet yet but the new mower sure made a meal of it. Now a bit of work in the kitchen then back outside. It's a shame stuff indoors still needs attention regardless of the weather
I have lamented this for years! I pretty much just let the house BE in the summer...well, I used to anyway--now I just let it do it's thing all year! LOL!

Ended up trying to give an Eggbound hen a warm salt bath for about a half hour but she was too far gone and stressed. I put her in her own pen and gave her water with electrolytes and calcium on her food but just went outside to find her fave down on the floor. She was my favorite. The prettiest Olive egger ever. Guess that all comes with having the girls. Just got done burying her under the oak tree. Now some coffee and relaxing time I guess
I hate when you try your hardest to save them and they still die on you! Sorry for your efforts and your loss. Lots of times now when I see them "down" I will just end it. The heartbreak gets to be too much and the time invested too valuable.

persistent broodies make good soup.
Yeah, like I said...Jim you are too much!

And with that, I am off to get some feed so if anyone actually decides to feed the birds while we are gone there will be something to give them!
See you tomorrow!

TerriO

Fun to read up on what everyone is up to! I hope I get to meet a lot of you at the bash...it's so different the posts from the past years' were all about the bash this close...I guess that's what the other thread is about though...
Quote:

I just made sure my 50# feeder is full and the goose pond is full of water. the baby chicks have 5 gallons of water, and their 20# feeder is full.. Now I can leave for a week .

Back
Top Bottom