Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good afternoon,

I measured a few ceiling tiles while I was in the coop collecting eggs.
happy to report that the water did not freeze in the coop.
bet it will tonight, though..

the geese would like to go into the coop, and I would like to let them, but they are so messy.

I fixed up a deep pile of wood chips and topped it off with a generous helping of straw for them. If they use it, they should be OK..

........jiminwisc..........

Welcome DZ... I am in New Glarus so just down the road from you...there are a number of inactive or lurking Cheeseheads in our area. What type of chickens do you have?

good afternoon,

I replaced 6 of 9 ceiling tiles in the chicken coop today.
only have 3 left to do and they require multiple cuts and measuring.

it was cold out there, but not unbearable.
the water hasn't frozen in the coop, yet. but that day is coming.. it always does..

..........jiminwisc........

Frozen and partially frozen waterers in the coop today on both sides. The flock is doing okay so far but it is going to get worse in the coming week.

The two week old quail and chicks are doing okay with their heat lamps but you can tell both groups but especially the quail are cold. Guess we'll be lowering the heat lamps for the babies tonight. If we bring them into the porch I have a feeling they will be staying in the porch for the remainder of the winter so that will be as a last resort only.

@kristip
Having trouble integrating the silver duckwing Oegbs into the flock although they do good with the juveniles and chicks they panic around the adult large fowl.

Continuing to try.

Will keep everyone up to date. Thanks guys. Got our first family Christmas of the year this weekend and they will continue into January. With the cold and needing to process cockerals I'm hoping we'll be able to us the heated shop(family farm) as the wind at our place is way too unbearable and we have nowhere to go to escape the wind.

Okay guys more later stay warm everyone.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, I have several varieties.
I have Columbian Wyandotte, Dominiques, black English Orpingtons, a Splash Eng Orp., Buff Orps and Auracanas.
I will be adding to the flock in early Spring with various Heritage Breeds.

Unfortunately I brought Mareks to my property last Spring when I bought hens from a neighbor who had not vaccinated.
I lost all.vut 2 of the 10 English Orpingtons I bought from him and 3 of my own various Heritage Breeds.
Finally have not had any deaths in 2 months after and entire summer of frequently dying hens.

I had a giant coop with run built in PA that will accommodate 30 hens. They get free run of the 6.5acres every day.
I feed only organic and my hens are all layers, not raised for meat. I do not keep a rooster at this time.

In my other life, I am a Registered Nurse. I work from home as a Telephone Triage nurse. I have 2 grown boys who live on their own and recently inherited a 6yr old daughter when I got remarried in September.

good morning,

my eye appt went OK yesterday. Dr just confirmed what I already knew. CSS..
I really appreciate you people who use the larger font.

the tiny print like this goes unread by me..

I got most of the damaged ceiling tiles replaced in the chicken coop yesterday. I have 4 more to go. If I can work up the courage, I will do those today..
Baby, it's cold out there..

I might put a match to the brush pile out front next to the road. there is enough snow cover, now. I like a breezy day for brush pile fires.. it makes them burn hotter and faster..

11 eggs yesterday.

.......jiminwisc........

still on mad overtime and working the second job about 25 hours a week. Another month or two and that should slow down and I'll be able to get a lot of ice fishing in. If it gets cold like they say a couple weeks and we'll be in business. Hope all is well everybody

Oh goodness, I have several varieties.
I have Columbian Wyandotte, Dominiques, black English Orpingtons, a Splash Eng Orp., Buff Orps and Auracanas.
I will be adding to the flock in early Spring with various Heritage Breeds.

Unfortunately I brought Mareks to my property last Spring when I bought hens from a neighbor who had not vaccinated.
I lost all.vut 2 of the 10 English Orpingtons I bought from him and 3 of my own various Heritage Breeds.
Finally have not had any deaths in 2 months after and entire summer of frequently dying hens.

I had a giant coop with run built in PA that will accommodate 30 hens. They get free run of the 6.5acres every day.
I feed only organic and my hens are all layers, not raised for meat. I do not keep a rooster at this time.

In my other life, I am a Registered Nurse. I work from home as a Telephone Triage nurse. I have 2 grown boys who live on their own and recently inherited a 6yr old daughter when I got remarried in September.

Oh goodness how awful about the Marek's. I'm so grateful we don't have it here. I sure wish you didn't have it as I'm in the market for some more English Orpingtons. I've been looking for some blue or a splash for over a year. I have chocolate, chocolate cuckoo, black(some 100% some 50-75%), some 50% English lavenders, and an English (believed to be a white sport) white. I would love to see some photos of your orps of you don't mind sharing and you have the required number of posts.

I know Jim I wish I could make the font larger but I can't on mobile. Does this help at all?

Last edited:
good afternoon,

just came in from the coop.. I am finished with replacing all the damaged and missing ceiling tiles.
that job was exactly as messy and dirty and dusty as I expected it would be.
I am glad it is done.

the water still hasn't frozen in there, yet. and I have not added any supplemental heat..

.........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom