Woe is me.. space limitations...

simplifylife

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 9, 2012
South Eastern Mass
Ok I thought the rough estiamte was 3 feet per hen (standard).. and now I am reading 4 sqft per hen. Is it not feasible to go with 3ft? This will severely restrict the number of hens we can have, sighs. I had thought originally of having bantams, so the coop size we were estimating worked better. Now hubby wants standard size hens...

We really are limited on space in our yard. I have a yard that is 60x100 and my backyard is probably 30x100, so our combination shed/coop is going to be restricted in overall size. We were planning on a 6x8 structure. With 6x2 being coop size. That means no more than 3 standard size hens correct? With an overall 6x6 run size being acceptable?

How many bantams would we be able to hold in this amount of space?

Thanks,
Nancie

Thanks I guess I am curious as I live in a colder climate if the interior space restrictions goes down a bit so the girls stay warmer? Meaning could I have one more standard hen? I had really hoped for 5 total.. but I obviously don't come close to enough space.. sighs.

Otherwise it's back to thinking of bantams.....

Nancie

You don't want to overcrowd the coop thinking that will keep them warmer in the winter. That goes along with shutting all the ventilation down in the winter for the same idea. Chickens generate a lot of moisture/humidity, just by breathing. Overcrowding and poor ventilation, in the winter months, will lead to frostbit, sick, and even dead birds. You want more chickens, bump out the coop a couple of feet.
Jack

Ah if only I had the space. I have looked at my backyard a few times too many in the rain this morning. I *might* be able to squeeze in an extra 1' making it a total of 3'x6' = 18 sqft which would allow me 4.5 standard hens.. lol. Meaning I could get away with having 4. Am I right on the math with that?

Thanks,
Nancie

Boy this really makes me miss my days in NH on 7 acres..sighs. I never once wondered how many chickens I could have.. I had a large coop and free ranged every day.. sighs..

Ok folks I've been away so much because well.. I worked all holiday weekend long and during any amount of free time we had, we've been doing yard work and begun coop construction. Taking some designs we've seen on here and other places, we've come up with a version of shed/coop combination that I can't wait to see completed!! The girls will have an area of 4x6' total for 24sqft allowing me the 5 hens I was looking for! YIPPEE! We will have an area of 6x8 for their pen. I know it's just a smidge under the 10sqft per hen outdoor space, but it's about all we've got to work with. Hopefully they'll do fine. Hub has been designing some interesting little ideas into the coop to and pen area to give them some activities etc that might be of interest to them. grins. He's planning an upper deck area for perching inside the run, a dirt bath bucket area and we'll see what else he comes up with.

I've been taking pics as we go along. Right now we're framed out.. He'll start plywood and roofing this week. Chicks come home this weekend leaving us time to finish the outdoor run last as we won't be putting them outside for a bit anyways.

YAY us.. it's moving along!!

Back
Top Bottom