Wonky Goes Large !

I've told the story of Wonky the duckling in another thread.

(I think) He was born early and half shrink wrapped - the membrane was dried to his open eye and he was awkwardly positioned.

Between us all we managed to get him out but he was literally wonky - his body was physically nowhere near symmetrical, he couldnt balance, struggled to walk. His legs were also splayed and I think his eye was damaged from the shrink wrap.

We did not think he would make it.

He stayed in the starter brooder for four weeks and we kept him on chick crumb with added niacin with access to duck lucozade at all times. Sometimes he was on his own with his alarm clock in a sock, sometimes there were other ducklings. Some of these did not make it.

He never seemed to be thriving, he was definitely slow to grow and he needed a lot of rest - in my heart, I didnt think he would make it but we all kept going.

Two more ducklings hatched and survived after him and they were all weak and underdeveloped. We kept all three on the same regime.

Somehow, they all seemed to turn a corner at the same time - we moved the three amigos from the starter brooder to the indoor paddling pool brooder when Wonky was four weeks old. I went to London for work, came back yesterday after 12 days and all three have literally doubled in size and are thriving - Wonky is finally the size he should be and can do all the things the others can do.

Today, we put Wonky, Jacques and The Little One out with the other 8 squeakers in their brooder run. So I can keep an eye on him, Wonky has a ring on which is bright yellow - no-one got picked on but everyone is fascinated with Wonkys yellow ring and peck at it.

Probably should have thought that one through a bit more !

We've lost a lot of ducklings and both goslings this year - its been really hard.

But young Wonky has been a win - I would have taken a picture of him today outside but he's been having a riot and is caked in mud and dried food so looks a little, erm, unready for his profile shot.

I hope he makes it - he's had a great day out in the sunshine with all the others today.

Please keep it all crossed for Wonky in the coming days - I hope he continues to go from strength to strength.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom