Wooden egg mystery

Rosto

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Alabama
Just went to gather my eggs and found that one of my wooden nest eggs had been attacked by a mystery critter. It was covered with tiny puncture marks. Some of the marks were longer like maybe the fangs slipped on the wood. My guess is something tried to swallow it. In the next stall I have a hen setting, and she's fine so what do you think this thing is? Do I need to move the hen or do some other action?

You need to reevaluate the security of your coop because whatever it was, it WILL come back - and it has done you the favor of making you aware that security isn't quite there just yet. Is your coop attached to a closed run or open to allow free-ranging of birds during the day? If closed, there are some changes that need to be made somewhere - if you post photos of the setup we can help you identify them....if you usually open it you may need to rethink that for the time being. Your setting bird/her clutch are like sitting ducks right now so to be safe you either need to move her to a place that can be secured (there are some risks to moving her, how long has she been brooding these eggs?) or make changes to make where she is at secure.

Where are you located? Too cold for a snake? If so, perhaps that leaves only a furry varmint, in which case, how did it get in there?

Can you post a clear, close up photo of this egg to show these marks?

Back
Top Bottom