World Egg Day Hatchalong!(October 12, 2012 is World Egg Day!)

I've had to put a blanket over mine yesterday and last night. It really worked!

I have 6 out, 3 were after 12AM, so World Egg Day Chicks ;) And 4 more to go (I hear peeps still) So... Happy World Egg Day to Everyone!!!
celebrate.gif
How exciting! To everyone who just had sweet baby chicks.

Here's my 2 that hatched yesterday they are all dry and fluffy!! Still waiting on the other one to do something. I thought I only had 1 hen laying but the little buff/red colored one is the first one to look like that and all the other chicks have had black skin. the other one is unknown the mom is a silkie/cochin mix and the dad is either a silkie roo or a mf belgian d'uccle roo any body want to guess the dad for me?
The one on the right is partridge coloring and the one on the left is a beautiful red (I think Ginger is a good name, ha). Very cute and lovely. Congrats.

I love that red color, Jenny! I have no idea how to tell anything, though, lOL

Well, I tried my hand at Vent Sexing and I think I have 5 pullets and 2 cockerels (could have made mistake on pullets, but the cockerels were obvious) Still, it's a teeny tiny thing to look for, and unless you have fantastic close up vision, you'll need a magnifying glass!

I have two more eggs I'm waiting on ... wait, that doesn't add up (going to check) nope, 3 more eggs I'm waiting on, LOL... one is partly out, but stopped moving. Maybe I better check on him...

Oh well, great hatch day to everyone!!!

Well, the one that was zipping this moring after 8 is dead, don't know what happened, and the other two are probably dead as well, but I'm just going to leave everything as is for a day or so, see if anyone else hatches.

Last edited:

Here's my 2 that hatched yesterday they are all dry and fluffy!! Still waiting on the other one to do something. I thought I only had 1 hen laying but the little buff/red colored one is the first one to look like that and all the other chicks have had black skin. the other one is unknown the mom is a silkie/cochin mix and the dad is either a silkie roo or a mf belgian d'uccle roo any body want to guess the dad for me?
I've gotten several different colors of chicks from the same pairing before. It just depends on which genes are passed to the babies. They could both have the same 2 parents or entirely different ones.

Congrats to everyone on the new chicks! So happy for you all!

Okay back to contest business.

week two contest only had 2 entries that were recieved on time and since Cochin1088 won the last contest I have decided to award the prize to the second entry received. Hope no one is offended.

Congrats to herducks! Some hatching eggs coming your way this spring!

As for Week 3 contest I need everyone to PM me their entry, since I got a bit confused with what is what here on the thread.

And, as is hatch-a-long tradition a special contest!

Cutest Chick Photo Contest!

PM me the pics of your chicks hatched during the last 3 weeks of the hatch-a-long!

Oh, you didn't get my entry! I thought you were too busy to respond, LOL. Oh well, but since I kinda thought it was pretty funny, I'll post it here ;)

He looks so French to me!
lau.gif

Edit, another chick just hatched, that's 8 now, haven't checked to see if it's a boy or a girl though ;P

Last edited:
Look up spraddle leg, I think people tape the legs loosely together. It's caused by having them on a slippery surface, like newspaper or cardboard. Paper towels on top of shavings are better if you want to keep them out of the shavings at first, but newspaper or paper is too slippery and they get spraddle legs. Look it up on the emergency thread.

Note: I think the last chick is a boy. I have one more egg, seems still alive?? but I candled it and it seemed like it wasn't as old?? We'll see if it makes it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom